Sanuk in the Sticks, Chiang Rai Style

Julian2

Sanuk in the Sticks.

I noticed a local Farang restaurant in a forum this week and mentioned it to my Dutch neighbour, a man of many years in Thailand.

He insisted we check it out so last night we headed off to town about six o'clock.

When we found the place, it was next to the busy provincial police station and there wasn't a car park for miles so he gave it the thumbs down and said we would eat Thai instead and headed for the other side of town.

He found a busy Thai restaurant and ordered about five assorted dishes including a whole fish, beer for himself and soda for me. The food was a bit phet for my taste but the atmosphere was great so I ordered extra rice to cool things down and sat back to enjoy myself.

All the waitresses were stunning... the one who served us said they were all college girls working part time so we tipped her heavily and my mate came away with her phone number. Total bill for food and drinks about 400B.

Finished, we drove over to a collection of nearby shanty karaoke bars and stopped at one that had four girls around a fire out the front, did I mention it was about ten degrees? We parked and went in inviting the girls in with us. They joined us at the table so we ordered more food, beer, Spy and I switched to Coke.

All four girls were very keen to entertain us in other ways, a figure of 500B was mentioned and just try to get them out of the warm hotel room the same night. They were late teens to mid twenties and quite pretty, not quite Nana gogo standard maybe but better than beer bar. One, the oldest spoke some English and the others none at all. The youngest, an Akha girl of nineteen, said if were looking for a long term deal she was available for 3000B a month. I'm fully aware that she end up costing more than that.

We left about three hours later, to the ladies dismay, after paying the heavy bill of 1100B, which included two whole fish, beer, Spy, Coke and half a dozen side dishes for six people including a hovering waitress. The Akha girl never stopped eating, even when my neighbour “checked her out†and announced she was naturally devoid of pubic hair.

As we got into the car he pointed at another bar nearby and said, “you can get 300B short time there, but you have to be careful, some of them are a bit youngâ€Â.

All in all an educational and entertaining night.

They think they sit on the right hand of God mate, just ask my Mrs.

And it wasn't 10, only felt like it; a weather report check today revealed a minimum of 16. Must have been some wind chill factor.

And another thing....

It doesn't feel quite the same if you're not drinking.

Chiang Rai is part of the old Kingdom of Lanna and speaks Kham Muang. Isaan is part of the former Kingdom of Lan Xang, which was made up of present day Laos and Isaan and speaks Lao dialects. Different folks and they look down on each other. Northerners regard Isaan people as stupid; Isaan natives think Northern Thais are lazy. :dunno:

Both names were obvious exaggerations - 1,000,000 rice paddies? Who counted? Same same with the 1,000,000 elephinks.

I'd say there were a lot more than half a dozen beasties - unless the commies have killed them off. Hanoi used to use them to haul supplies along the HCM trail they built through eastern Laos, and some no doubt got killed in the air strikes on the trail.

"More like six"

Love it

The "Laos" brothels in our area - Sakon Nakorn - are 300 to leave bar - 700 if your a local for 2 hours or 1000 if yuour a farang.

Local "resort" is 120 baht for 2 hours.

Girls all from laos speaking central laos

I have no doubt that the girls sitting around that upstairs bar in Vientiane could be talked down later in the night : like anything, demand and supply determine the price, and I dont remember the supply dwindling while my 3 amigos and I sat around our table and got hammered. If anything, they only deter potential customers by throwing out the high prices early on : might be the Laos version of 'TiT'.

Given the state I was in standing in that bloody line at the Embassy the next day, I may have been better off to pay the first girl I saw and leave at 8pm. Vientiane drives you to drink, IMO.

Archived