Leaving Thailand

New Petchburi Pete

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pete, I just wanted to add my wishes for a full, long life, whether its in the U.S. or Thailand. I think your timing is a little better than mine, coming back last October. I came here with no intention of going further than having my wife and kids have permanent residency but now believe that they should get U.S. citizenship in two years, at the earliest time permitted. I can't say your wife won't miss Thailand or that she won't spend long times on the phone, calling friends and family in Thailand (get a low cost phone plan to Thailand) but my wife and kids have adjusted to living here and, after a little over a year, can speak decent english (it usually takes 3 years in an ELL program to go mainstream in school). My wife still doesn't work but our son turns 2 December 5 and we both want to take care of him, over putting him in daycare. Next year, hopefully, pre-school (as long as he can speak Thai). Maybe, by then, the wife will have taken enough evening english classes to go for her GED and then go for a technical degree in massage therapy or chiropractor. With the 20 year difference, she will be here long after I'm 6 feet under. I haven't decided on whether to sell my house in Chaing Mai yet (if I could rent it, that would be my preference) but if the dollar continues going south, I think I'd be nuts to keep it. I also wanted to thank you for all the medical advise on doctors and hospitals in Bangkok when I had my motorcycle accident and was contemplating surgery on my shoulder. I wish I could give you advise on leukemia but, outside of the one or two doctors that post on this board, you have the most medical knowledge here. Anyway, Pete, keep in touch and, if we make the American family pilgramage to Disneyworld next year, I hope to see you.

NPP,

Sorry to hear about your health issues but glad to hear that you and your family have a positive outlook and a plan forward for the future.

Even though I have never met you In Real Life, that I am aware of, I feel as if I have some empathy with you due to the years I have known you online and have read each others posts.

Hope it all goes well on your repatriation stateside and its a smooth transition for your family, keep posting as and when you have the time and inclination.

Good Luck Pete.

Best of Luck, for your health in the future.

Recent posters, have made mention of calling Thailand. Might I suggest, Vonage to you; for you home phone and long distant calling needs in the US. Vonage at $24.95 +tax, will not only provide your day to day household phone needs, but also allow you UNLIMITED FREE calls, to Thailand.

www.vonage.com

Like you, I am a Beantown guy. Florida, is a great place for weather, for a Thai family. BUT, for your medical needs, there is no place like Boston, for your leukemia treatment. Researchers at Dana Farber @ MGH, are on the cutting edge. Maybe you know. maybe not Massachusetts, already has 100% Healthcare coverage for all, as well. Quality Care, at low cost.

Again, Best of Luck, in life, if you need a contact here, do not hesitate to message me.

Our son who is now 6 and a half is already over 44 kgs. and he continues to get stronger.

When our son was 2 or 3, Jimmie Blonde dubbed him a future 'linebacker' in the NFL (Hall of Famer?) and that would not surprise me one bit.

Interestingly, he has taken a keen interest in Tae Kwan Do. He takes after the Scots on my mother's side and his pediatrician believes his height will easily exceed 6 feet 6 inches.

He loves to eat, and when it comes to pasta, he puts down more than twice what I can! When we get to the States, we will put a hefty chain around the fridge!

I dont know BuBi - there are a few short-time rooms above Cowboy where the Lord's name is regularly heard at surprisingly high volumes, and I'm assured that there may have been at least one Immaculate Conception in that part of town. Always a shock when a gal shows you a photo of 'baby' and he looks like he's ready for boot camp at 5 - Semper Fi, indeed.

Archived