Learn Thai from songs

Flashermac

thanks been looking something like this,ive been watching cartoons lately

Go for Doraemon. It's Japanese (natch) but in Thai and massive here if you didn't know already. He's a robot cat from the future who travels back in time to the present day to help Nobita (his owners great grandfather) to stop fucking his life up, thereby affecting the future fortunes of his offspring.

Drink a shit load of beer, get a Doraemon DVD and rock out.

I now speak Thai as fluently as a 21st Century robot cat. I'm applying for a job at 7-11.

Beep-boop

The Thai Music karaoke CD's a good and taught me a lot of Thai that I know. (But obviously get the ones that have the English script for the Thai words!)

Can anyone tell me why in songs, males always refer to themselves as "Chan" (female) rather than use "Pom" (male) as they would in normal conversation??

:dunno:

I've asked a lot of Thais this and always get the same answer: "Mai roo" :doah:

I've noticed that they do this in movies too.

"Chan" is not an exclusively female pronoun, it is unisex, altbough more frequently used by females.

It suggests familiarity or intimacy towards the person you are adressing. Often used in a relationship between spouses.

An elder "higher ranking" person can also use it with his "subordinates".

I understand why they use it in lyrics, it does sound somewhat awkward to use formal vocabulary in a song.

Why they so often use that term in movies too beats me, becuase in my experience this frequency of using "chan" in movies doesn`t reflect real life situations.

I may however be wrong about that, since I seldomly interact with persons like the ones depicted in thai soaps.

I visited a secondary school a few years back and was presented with some diaries written by the students. All the males used "chan" when referring to themselves.

Conclusion: Chan mai roo muangan :)

cheers

Archived