what level of thai can you speak,read,write,how long u learn?

belfastish

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

interesting,i too am surprised at people who live in los who know little,but again everyone is different,same learn fast some just cant say an easy word correctly and give up.for some its too much hassle.

i think the biggest thing for me is i dont speak with my accent my tones are quite good and clear,i think thats luck as some people can do it some cant.

its all about confedence which ive got from my thai friends,if you try to speak and someone says they dont understand then you speak in english your doomed,confedence at zero.

my grammar is good but still get mixed up and with my class i get to learn mixture of words,the hardest part is remembering the classifiers as each item nearly has a different one.

yes some falang talk thai in there own lang.. and think its great but hey they try,i think the worst ones are the ones that speak english in a thai accent 555

the hardest words for me at the minute are nor ngo words,like tam gnan(work)ngon(money) and peuan(friends).

i think if i lived in bkk i wouldnt learn as much as here correctly,i would get lazy i think and as someones says speak english.

You can often get by simply by using the noun itself as a classifier. It's not grammatically correct, but it's understandable.

e.g. Kaeo nerng kaeo (instead of nerng bai)

Ahn also works in many instances, correct or not.

p.s. I remember a Peace Corps gal whose tones were invariably wrong. Then I heard her "singing" one day. She was tone deaf! That must make it a bit difficult to learn a tonal language. :p

The VSO vols (British) got about 5 days of training in London before they were dumped in Thailand - on their own (like as not upcountry). Talk about a sink or swim situation ... compare that with about 6 weeks of language plus 3 weeks ELF training for the Peace Corps. CUSO (Canuck vols) got less training than PC, but a helluva lot more than VSO. :p

We all envied the German vols, since they got a living allowance that was about three times what PC did - and we lived well as it was! CUSO got a bit more than PC, VSO about 20% less.

Have lived here over 5 years now' date=' been married to a Thai going on 10 years. My Thai is what you would politely call “extremely limitedâ€Â. It’s not something I am proud of, but I live with it and with my life it is not a problem.

When I do try to speak even the limited words I know, most Thai cringe.

:rotl:

TH[/quote']

When I was first learning Thai, the students would ask me to speak Thai to them. I would decline, saying they'd laugh at me. They'd all disagree and promise they wouldn't laugh. Then when I did, they'd split their sides laughing at me. :(

p.s. Only way to learn correct pronunciation is to learn to read. Once you can, you'll realise how many words you've been mispronouncing. :p

...and the only way to become a fluent speaker in any language is to make a fool of yourself over and over again...i.e., always try new things, especially things you've never said before. Feedback is how you learn, even though it may be painful at the time, haha.

My experience exactly! Well said.

If you fuck up language wise and get corrected, you will never forget it and get it right the next time.

I still recall mispronounciations and wrong use of words although they were spoken a decade ago. Because I became the object of goodhearted ridule.

Archived