Single Malt Whiskeys?

Lusty

As I've got older I have developed a taste for decent single malt Whiskeys and have started a collection.:drunk:

Any recomendations for what I should add to my collection and before any of our American cousins from across the pond mention Bourbon's,this stuffs all well and good but has to be mixed with Coke!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not being pedantic just helpful I hope:

"Today, the spelling whisky (plural whiskies) is generally used for whiskies distilled in Scotland, Wales, Canada, Australia, and Japan, while whiskey is used for the spirits distilled in Ireland and the United States."

Spelling whiskey whisky

Now, getting down to the nitty gritty

My top malts are:

Ardbeg

Lagavulin

Laphroaig

(all 3 from the island of Islay - beautiful spot well worth visiting)

All very smoky peaty seaweedy flavours... as Laphroaig's motto says "Love it or hate it"

I did a grand tour of Scottish distilleries 12 years ago and bought a bottle from each. Did a blind tasting later.. over several days and was surprised to find my favourite after the Islay whiskies was Glenfiddich. They have about 24 stills there and I thought to myself "Oh mass produced crap" but my taste buds found it very smooth and palatable.

YMMV... that's the beauty of Scotch.

Slainte

Isn't that what Obama is turning into?

Bourbon was started in the late 18th century by Scots-Irish settlers in Bourbon County, Kentucky. They used what was available to make their old familiar booze. They called themselves Irish, but were probably more Scots in their attitudes and diet. (The term hillbilly is said to come from the Scots-Irish.)

Archived