Crackdown in Pattaya?

Hardy641

After several months of strict 2:00am closing in Bangkok, it seems that Pattaya is the next victim of a crackdown.

Did it already start? Anybody with first hand information?

http://www.pattayaone.net/news/2009/december/news_10_12_52.shtml

Pattaya - Suggestions of major Bar Crackdown by Police

Pattaya, December 10 [PATTAYA ONE NEWS] : On Wednesday Afternoon at the Cesar Palace Hotel in Central Pattaya, Police Major General Tanaert, the Commander of Chonburi Provincial Police, chaired a meeting of over 200 bar owners from around the Pattaya area. The General went through all the laws regarding operating such venues, including opening and closing times, minimum age of employees and patrons and registration papers to be completed for employees by the bar owner. One interesting point coming from the meeting was a statement by the General who warned any bars found to be paying off Police Officers in exchange for any form of protection would be prosecuted and the officers themselves would be removed from the Police. A special task force has now been set up to ensure that rules are adhered to and bar owners now fear a bar crackdown is imminent, which could not come at a worse time with High Season upon us which is a time of year when many bars do their best trade and rely on the relaxed bar trading regulations to ensure they can make the most of this busy period.

...any bars found to be paying off Police Officers in exchange for any form of protection would be prosecuted and the officers themselves would be removed from the Police. A special task force has now been set up to ensure that rules are adhered to...

In other words, he wasn't getting what he thought was his fair share and I'd put a drink on the fact that he is in charge of the special task force.

Pattaya bars now seem to be closing well after 2 am, and I am suffering today because of it.

I have several group of separate groups of friends and relatives in town. If you sat them in the same room and asked them to describe Thailand, you'd think they were describing different countries. If I gather the energy, I will provide a longer post, but, suffice to say, I was down in Pattaya last night with the single (all divorced) guys group of friends last night, and it is much more open than Bangkok (as raunchy - and I mean that in a nice way - as ever) and still throbbing at 4 am. Got back to Bangkok late this morning for the relatives and married friends crowd in from the U.S, and spent the day on river boats, in temples and shopping. Different universes, but to stay on point, Pattaya seemed the same to me.

Yeah, the crackdown hasn't started yet--but Pattaya is so wild right now, I would be surprised if it didn't start soon. I hope, however, that it never starts (knock on wood).

Even the neighborhood bars are having wild shows now. Last night I was in a go-go near Soi Buakow, and they had a shower show in a glass booth where one of the girls was peeing on the glass window fronting the booth. She seemed very pleased with herself.

Not surprised by that report. Have there been any reports about a planned crackdown in Pattaya?

My impression is that the downturn has changed attitudes - at least with some. Without even asking, I was given a discount on my room when they saw I had PR status in Thailand, extended this to my friends, and made a point of asking me several times when I planned to next visit Pattaya. The bars also seemed friendlier.

I wasn't there long and maybe I was just lucky, but it seems that some now understand they had better not kill the goose that lays the golden egg. Whether this has trickled up is another matter, which is why I am curious if there are any announced plans of a crackdown.

Archived