2010 Security Suites: The Best and Worst

kamui

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ohhhh, per http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-se curit... my free AVG is in the dirt, very poor rating. Some rating a "10" are free but I have never heard of them :dunno:

Try Comodo...it's free {I like free!] and has been in the top rated group for a long time! I've been using it for years w/o any problems.......so far ;-)

I only use Comodo's firewall and NOD-32 for anti-virus, but, I'd never use NOD's security suite!

AVG, free has been working OK for me on at least seven PCs.

I also use AVG on two PC's with zero problems.

I did, once, try one of these 'Suites' and all hell broke loose.

The 'Suite' was asking me all sorts of questions - that I didn't have an answer for.

Used to use AVG but it let me down once so I switched to Avast about 3 years ago. Have not had a problem since. Free too.

I quit AVG this fall after it could detect some malware but was not able to remove it. It also became nagware, always asking me to upgrade. Very annoying. That's when I tried out MSE, and I like it's clutter free interface, it's easy on the resources, doesn't nag, and I haven't had a problem yet.

I use Norton and about half an hour ago a message appeared on my laptop saying that I could download NIS 2010 and it would be free on my current subscription. So I did and it's currently doing a full system scan and has so far detected 30 risks.

They offered me the same. But my guess is that the subcription (time) would remain the same.

I purchased 2010 retail CD US $9.00 (have 2009 now) so that my subcription will continue for a full 12 months more.

Rookie,

I use NOD 32 Smart Security 4 - is this what you're talking about. Have you had problems with it.

No, I've never used it. I suggest that you check the link that I posted which appears, in this thread, a few posts before yours.

Check the various pages in the link and find out how the various programs were checked and what weaknesses were found.

IMHO...

Most of us have used various security or anti-viral programs and never _knowingly_ experienced a problem. The question is how good are they if our computers are ever hit by some new trojan, virus or in-genius hacker? Hence, I believe protecting with a top rated program will increase the chances of warding off the attack.

Archived