Singha to launch three draft beers in 2010

The_Munchmaster

Based on positive customer feedback, Singha is bullishly introducing three new draft beers for 2010: black beer, copper beer and lager beer.

Mr. Chatchai Viratyosin, Marketing Manager, Singha Corporation (the manufacturer and distributor of Singha and Leo beer) and a member of Boonrawd Holding, said that the company will introduce three new draft beers into the Thai market. The decision is a direct consequence from Singha’s trial sales, which resulted in great customer satisfaction and comments in Singha company’s beer garden. The new beers seem to offer pleasant choices for even the most fastidious drinkers.

The company expects Thailand’s beer market to contract by 14% this year with a market value of only US$2.4 to 2.7 billion, a descent from the $3.3 billion market (2 billion litres) of last year. Singha holds a 65% share in the Thai beer market.

Source: Thailand Construction News, Issue 145

Why would they bother? Thais won't buy anything but cheap, potent lager.

Remember Black Panther - almost an English ale? It's gone now. Didn't sell well with the Thais. Once upon a Thai there was a Thai made gin - stopped after a year or so since only expats knew what to do with it. Then there was a drinkable Thai booze called Tumbler. It's also history, since it cost more than Mekong or Saengsom ... and Thais didn't know the difference.

:dunno:

Well, glad to see the new open trade booze laws driving these lazy cunts to do something and add to their dismal offerings. At least we will now have some choices for something other than the potent crap beers already out here. (Yeah, good buzz for the money, but I do like a few more choices). Hopefully after the 1st of the year the ASEAN region beers will become easily available in many of the markets in Thailand. I don't see the Cambo Angkor beer selling well here due to the Thai nationalistic crap, and I do like that one quite a lot really and hope I can get some here soon. Lao beer should do well if they can price it competitively against the Thai brands I feel, at least in Isaan 'Lao' areas and among the farang expats that enjoy this beer. Some Phil beers may do well. Actually I used to drink a Phil rum called 'Bonuz' available in most liquor marts here that was quite drinkable, cheap, and better than the Sang Som by far I felt.

Is there a Burmese brand that may be available soon... and is it drinkable? Will VN beers be on offer soon? Does Malaysia have any decent beers to offer? What other ASEAN countries are there and what are their beer brands and how do they match up with the Thai beers?

I hope to try a few beers I have not had before from the area and do some taste testing. :xmascheer:beer:

Archived