Running away on credit cards

Coss

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fortunate enough to have been employed my entire working life. And I paid my bills on time.

And I never 'applied' for a credit card. My first Mastercard was sent to me when I initially applied for 'overdraft' protection on my one checking account. The bank just sent me a Mastercard.

Later, as years went by, the credit card companies would send me 'Pre-approved' for credit card. Just sign and mail in. Well, I did.

I added them up one time. I have over US $97,000.00 in available charging with my credit cards. Not all have cash advances but most do.

So in theory, I could 'cash in' around US $90,000.00.

How long would that allow me to live in Thailand?

I'm particularly intrigued by the concept of suicide by bargirl.

Woman commits suicide after alleged argument with boyfriend

Pattaya, December 14 [PATTAYA ONE NEWS] : A couple of hours before sunrise on Sunday morning police and rescue services were called to a rented room in an apartment complex on the eastern side of Jomtien after reports that a female had been found hanging from a length of rope. At the scene the police and Sawang Boriboon volunteers inspected the body of a 29-year-old Thai female. She had apparently hung herself by threading a length of rope over the top of the internal bathroom and then pushing herself from a chair. Police had been called by the woman’s 22-year-old boyfriend. He claimed the pair had gone to sleep earlier in the night but when he awoke he saw his girlfriend had committed suicide. Police were concerned about bruises on the dead woman’s arms and upper body and under questioning the boyfriend revealed he had inflicted them himself. At this stage there is no suggestion he was directly involved in the woman’s death.

Journalists interviewed the deceased’s mother who told them she had spoken to her daughter a few times by phone earlier in the day. Her mother said her daughter sounded distraught and claimed to have been beaten up by a customer at a hotel in central Pattaya. Her mother suggested this was not true and she had been attacked by her boyfriend. Her mother believes she committed suicide because she had a broken heart.

From www.pattayaone.net, story seems to have been removed now.

My original card has a $2000 limit but it goes back to the mid 90s and I doubt anyone could walk off the street and get this these days.

Even in these difficult times $2000 (Oz or US) is a very low credit limit and wouldn't be of much use to anyone. I'm pretty sure a CC with such a limit would be easily obtained.

A lady from Barclays Bank called me the other day and said that as I was a premium account holder they'd like to offer me a credit card free for one year (not sure what free means? No annual fee? No interest?). Anyway I explained to her that I didn't have an account with Barclays' date=' to which she replied, would I still like to have the credit card![/quote']

Agreed, it's peanuts Munchie, but it came in handy once when I was waiting for my divorce/property settlement to come through. I scored enough in a tax free earner to keep me in style in the Philippines for a couple of weeks so used the card to pay my fare up there one Christmas.

Probably saved me from cutting my throat at a really bad time in my life.

Archived