Why does Rainbow have so many pretty ones?

Wallenda

For anyone who checks out and compares the bars in Nana and Soi Cowboy, one thing that's obvious is that Rainbow bars (especially Rainbow 4) have a LOT of girls and a higher percentage of young & pretty ones than the rest. There's not another bar that has as many dancing at once, and they go in 3 dance shifts which means they have LOTS more than other bars. And the level of quality in terms of looks is striking.

So the question is: WHY?

From the girls' point of view, what attracts them to work in this bar? I'm sure it's not just one thing... but I do wonder if pay there is better, or if their prospects of earning are overall much better than in other bars. Perhaps the management is kinder. Maybe it's due to the clientele, whether it's in quality or quantity. Maybe it's a prestige thing, being able to say you work at Rainbow 4 for example marks you as a cut above the rest. I don't know.

I would think with the huge number of girls working there, that that must diminish their chances of being selected, for some at least. I'd think that some of the 8's in R4 might be the best available in another bar, which would probably increase their earning potential, whereas in R4 they're just one of the middle of the pack.

Interesting question - I was seeing a Uni grad - pharmisicst - fark spelling - hot though - VERY hot - a few attempts at Thai marriages failed before the ceremony - then suddenly - she;s working rainbow 4!~

To boot making more money than in her whole life - finds a cute wealthy farang - exit's a loaded - highly sexed lady.

NO IDEA how she found Rainbow 4 - but she was dong up to 10 (TEN) fucks a day a her peak moments.

Well I don't know but...

"Maybe it's due to the clientele, whether it's in quality or quantity. Maybe it's a prestige thing, being able to say you work at Rainbow 4 for example marks you as a cut above the rest. I don't know. "

I was always under the impression that the punters will commonly pay over the odds here, 3, 4, 5K ST.

but I am not the expert on this.

Coss

The Rainbow bars have a good reputation, more customers than other bars and BGs certainly talk to each other about each other about the pros and cons of working at various bars. I also know they generally prefer to work at bars where they have friends.

Maybe it's a virtuous cycle? More girls = more customers = more girls with friends working at a Rainbow bar = more girls wanting to work at the bar because they have friends there already and it has a good reputation = the bar is able to be more selective about the girls it hires because more girls want to work there = more attractive girls hired by the bar = more customers going to go the bar and willing to pay a premium for better looking girls and so on.

If it is a virtuous cycle, why did it start at the Rainbow bars and not other bars? There was a time when G Spot had hot girls, but Rainbow seems to have left them in the dust.

I have a pet theory about the nightlife scene in Bangkok. It goes something like this: it's evolving into a flashier and more expensive scene. Look at Baccara bar. More expensive than most other bars, but often packed when other, less expensive bars, are empty. Why?

My hunch: these 10 or 20 Baht differences in beer prices that we grumble about here really don't amount to much in Bangkok if that slight difference makes an even larger difference in the quality of the bars and the girls. You also don't have the overwhelming concentration of bars you see in Pattaya where the competition for customers is greater.

My second hunch is that things continue, the tourists who come here to party party with BGs and do little else (not criticism here) will spend most of their time in Pattaya. Nights out are expensive anywhere (maybe not compared to the US or EU, but most tourists do have finite budgets), so they will go to where the get the most bangs for the buck. They will either go straight to Pattaya or spend a few days in Bangkok before heading down to Pattaya, where it is much cheaper (also the idea of a vacation in Bangkok doesn't have much appeal to me, but perhaps that is because I have worked here for 16 years). Those with less constrained budgets, that can afford and want 5 star hotels and 2,000 Baht bottles of wine, will spend more time in Bangkok. Those who think that spending money on these sorts of things in Thailand is absolutely folly, will spend less time in Bangkok and more in Pattaya.

This creates another cycle in Pattaya, which will tend dampen prices.

Those are my hunches.

My hunch: these 10 or 20 Baht differences in beer prices that we grumble about here really don't amount to much in Bangkok if that slight difference makes an even larger difference in the quality of the bars and the girls.

Yeah...okay. But for this hunch to be correct, you have to explain why the "arab bars" of SC are not nearly as crowded as Baccara. The "arab bars" flashy, have some good lookers, diddling is on the menu, and they show. These bars are certainly among the "priciest" of SC or the NEP.

HH

My hunch: these 10 or 20 Baht differences in beer prices that we grumble about here really don't amount to much in Bangkok if that slight difference makes an even larger difference in the quality of the bars and the girls.

Yeah...okay. But for this hunch to be correct' date=' you have to explain why the "arab bars" of SC are not nearly as crowded as Baccara. The "arab bars" flashy, have some good lookers, diddling is on the menu, and they show. These bars are certainly among the "priciest" of SC or the NEP.

HH

[/quote']

By my reading, considering his overall context, I don't think he meant that charging 20 baht more has anything to do with attracting more girls or more customers -- but that when there are a noticeably higher ratio of prettier girls in the bar to start out with, that more customers will come as a result of that, and THEN the owners charge a bit more and are able to get away with it. He could have worded it better though if that's what he did mean.

Better to compare with Rainbow 4 -- which easily beats both Baccara and Arab bars in terms of crowds and pretty-ratio. Maybe there's a certain critical mass that happens with prettiness where the places jumps to a new level.

I think prettiness of the girls is a more powerful draw than diddling or showing cuz you have to actually sit down and spend time there to discover those (or word of mouth), whereas you can spot prettiness from the doorway before even sitting down or ordering a drink. I think this theory gets borne out pretty well by what we know of diddling bars vs pretty girls bars across the board, in BKK and PTY both.

By my reading, considering his overall context, I don't think he meant that charging 20 baht more has anything to do with attracting more girls or more customers -- but that when there are a noticeably higher ratio of prettier girls in the bar to start out with, that more customers will come as a result of that, and THEN the owners charge a bit more and are able to get away with it. He could have worded it better though if that's what he did mean.

Better to compare with Rainbow 4 -- which easily beats both Baccara and Arab bars in terms of crowds and pretty-ratio. Maybe there's a certain critical mass that happens with prettiness where the places jumps to a new level.

Thanks. You got it right: I certainly wasn't suggesting that charging 20 Baht more for beer attracts more girls or customers. Rather, as you put it, once you have a better ratio of pretty girls, you can charge more. I was alluding to this in my reference to a virtuous cycle and thought this part of it did not need to be expressly stated, but perhaps not.

In any event, the question that no one here (including me) has answered is this: how does a bar achieve critical mass? Let's stick to Nana, as you suggest. At one point, G Spot was a hot bar. Now it's pretty much a dud, while Rainbow 4 is an excellent bar with noticeably more attractive girls. How did that happen?

My guess is that it wasn't one difference, but rather a large number of small differences. But I am not a bar owner, and I am pretty sure there are bar owners here, so perhaps they have some insight into this.

And perhaps they have something to learn from the Rainbow 4s and Bacarra bars of Bangkok? What makes the difference? Thoughts?

Yeah, Gadfly didn't exactly phrase his theories in his usual superlative manner; and, maybe I just wasn't reading it the way he wrote it.

For me, I don't need 50 "stunners". In fact, only one who is a 5-8 will do nicely if other factors are on exhibit. :content: For instance, I advoid Rainbow 4, but will spend time in Rainbow 3 where it is less crowded but still has plently of attractive damsels. I even liked lollipop mainly due to the friendliness of the girls and the fact that the ladyboys in there wouldn't bother you if you didn't smile and stare at them. Last trip I got my best bar fine from a cutie in Lollipop this last trip. The bar doesn't have nearly the line up of Rainbow 4, but I like the totality of the scene/experience a LOT more. Bottom line, even in a small bar you can find a gem...and I can only take care of one at a time anyway. 555555555

IMO, SC has become Nana Plaza "ized" in the last few years. Raised prices for barfines, drinks, and compensation expectations of girls which are clearly based on their ignorance that a guy can not look more than 20 feet in any direction in any place in BKK without seeing pussy for sale. Part of the equation is that so many former NEP girls have migrated to SC.

HH

HH, I agree with you about this one. Even though they have many attractive girls I will normally avoid places such as Baccarra and RB4 because of their high prices and "my shit does'nt stink" attitude of many of the tarts. Prefer a bar with sensible prices, a few gems and generally decent attitude. And like yourself but unlike many it would seem, I have always seen the "Nana-isation" of Cowboy as a negative step. I personally thought it was more fun 10 years ago than it is now.

Simie.

Archived