What's all this about "The Arab"?

Wallenda

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess he needs a different name then if he's not really an Arab, especially considering the animosity between Arabs and Iranians. There's also the rift between Shia and Sunni Muslims (Iranians are predominantly Shia, Arabs Sunni).

Ironic that an Iranian would come buy a bunch of go-gos and turn them American-style. He'd sure get my vote against Adjiminijead(sp?)in the next election. Of course he and I would both get thrown in prison the next day and raped by guards, but that's another thread.

So now we know he's not Arab at all, maybe the politically correct term should be to call him The Shah.

There's an animated movie about the situation in Iran in the years after the Revolution, called Persepolis. If you watch that, can easily understand why people outside Iran would want to call themselves Persian, and vice versa. I think the vast majority of those "Persians" are something like refugees who fled there and strongly disagreed with the way things went, who see the Islamic Republic as a kind of hijacking of their country and culture.

I suppose you are too young to remember when the Shah or one of his family members bought a mansion along Sunset Blvd in Beverly Hills back in the 70s. It had nude statues in the front lawn right along the Blvd., and the guy painted pubic hair on the statues to make them look more 'realistic.' Caused quite a stir in the neighborhood as you might imagine - worse than the Clampetts moving in.

The statues were floodlit at night, and the place was a 'must see' attraction for out of town guests, right up there with Disneyland. :)

Hell, I would drive out for that. I live in Highland Park, a half artsy-fartsy and half gang-banger neighborhood. It's like a different world from the isolated Mansions in BH. Family to my left are from the Phillipines, couple to the right are Chinese, landlady is from Peru, and the woman upstairs is from Argentina. How's that for Americanization? :) Sometimes if I want to think I'll drive Sunset all the way to the Ocean, head back on Topanga then South on Mulholland till it blends with Coldwater then sidestreets home. Nice little jaunt late at night (wouldn't do it in daytime, would take hours).

My ex live-in girlfriend was Korean and her ex was a Persian med school student. He used to try and hide and follow us (her) when I first started seeing her -- I could tell you some stories. Not threatening but comical. Met him a few times, seemingly nice guy but had social difficulties.

Excellent point, and you just knocked the DH out of contention!

Brings to mind the classic thread (might have been on Nanapong), "Ever taken a shit in LongGun?" :)

The toilets in Long Gun are an icon in my book! They have done them up a touch in recent times but you can always tell a first timer by the the look on their face when they walk in. The Thai woman that sits there knitting and hands out the bog paper to the girls must have seen my cock more times than my mrs?!

Simie.

...I suppose you are too young to remember when the Shah or one of his family members bought a mansion along Sunset Blvd in Beverly Hills back in the 70s. It had nude statues in the front lawn right along the Blvd., and the guy painted pubic hair on the statues to make them look more 'realistic.' Caused quite a stir in the neighborhood as you might imagine - worse than the Clampetts moving in.

The statues were floodlit at night, and the place was a 'must see' attraction for out of town guests, right up there with Disneyland. :)

He was a Saudi Shiek (in other words, a real "Arab") with an Italian wife, not Iranian or related to the Shah.

Link

This post shows how the subject of the OP became known as the "arab" even if he was from Iran.

TH

I forgot to add, I did hear he had run afoul of someone, and he was arrested/held on some immigration charges and some other bullshit...not sure what...

The "Arab" had bought so many bars for so much money in such a short time that there was a lot of speculation that he was laundering money for somebody, especially when the bars seemed to thrive with so few apparent customers. Then, several years ago, a big time Iranian coke dealer was arrested in Samui and the rumors of a connection between the two really began to fly.

Never proven, as far as I know.

When I was a University of Calif undergrad, most of the foreign students were either Iranian or from Hong Kong. I saw many of the Iranians become very Americanised - so much so that they would marry almost any American gal to get a green card and stay in the States. I imagine there is still considerable sentiment in Iran against the Islamic nutters who have run it since the days of the Ayatollah Kakamamie. That oppoistion seems to be coming out a lot right now.

Wonder if this Iranian is US educated. :)

Archived