What's all this about "The Arab"?

Wallenda

There was another great quote in an associated newspaper Link about the BH Arab.

[color:blue]Not everyone is upset by the new decor, although most agree it is a bit much, including another Saudi Prince.

"As a Saudi," he said, "I'm so embarrassed by it all. This man is behaving like a Texan." [/color] :D

PS. TH wasn't referring to another link. He was referring to my post as being an example of how these mistaken identities occur.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PS. TH wasn't referring to another link. He was referring to my post as being an example of how these mistaken identities occur.

Whaaaaaa? What a jip. I totally misinterpreted that statement. Crap. Was looking forward to being privy to some sort of 'insider' scoop full of scandal and international intrigue, a la 'The Third Man.'

Oh well.

...As for the ass hat in BKK, put yourself in this position...you pay to rent a bar, you do ok, but you feel squeezed at every turn. Now here comes some guy, NOT a LOCAL he starts buying/renting bars around you, and he is offering more than the asking price. Pretty soon, you realize you will have to pay more to keep your bar/business going. This will mean jacking up your prices, and maybe driving away your customers.

Isn’t the free market and capitalism great….

:content:

TH

...As for the ass hat in BKK' date=' put yourself in this position...you pay to rent a bar, you do ok, but you feel squeezed at every turn. Now here comes some guy, NOT a LOCAL he starts buying/renting bars around you, and he is offering more than the asking price. Pretty soon, you realize you will have to pay more to keep your bar/business going. This will mean jacking up your prices, and maybe driving away your customers.

...[/quote']

Isn’t the free market and capitalism great….

:content:

TH

Free market in LOS?

...this would explain why he needs bodyguards.

Now assume the asshole who started all this shit really has no interest in being in the bar business, but is more interested in "taking over" or just laundering money/covering for other people...in the short and long term, it hurts your business and pisses off your customers...tell me are you happy about such a guy coming around?

Interesting assumption, but do we know if this assumption is true?

This assumption provides a great platform for all sorts of derogatory comments about arabs (or people from the Middle East since no one seems to know if this guy is arab, persian or whatever) and negative comments about free markets, but it sounds to me like it is nothing more than dangerous speculation. Anyone here have any evidence that there is any truth to this assumption?

Now assume the asshole who started all this shit really has no interest in being in the bar business, but is more interested in "taking over" or just laundering money/covering for other people...in the short and long term, it hurts your business and pisses off your customers...tell me are you happy about such a guy coming around?

Interesting assumption, but do we know if this assumption is true?

This assumption provides a great platform for all sorts of derogatory comments about arabs (or people from the Middle East since no one seems to know if this guy is arab, persian or whatever) and negative comments about free markets, but it sounds to me like it is nothing more than dangerous speculation. Anyone here have any evidence that there is any truth to this assumption?

Good point. But true or not, if this IS the assumption/belief of the people, then it becomes reality, and the hatred begins, justified/true or not. The fact that he is a foreigner, regardless of ethnic affiliation, does not help him in this situation.

The really only known supposed facts are, he supposedly pays way too much for the leases, and is buying up places, and thus the remaining rents are supposedly/allegedly going up as a result. This of course supposedly effects the other business owners and customers as well.

The really only known supposed facts are, he supposedly ...

Reminds me of that Donald Rumsfeld quote.

We have all these bloggers who live in BKK and hit the bars multiple times a week. It'd be pretty easy for one of them to get to the bottom of some of these questions. The guy is probably there at his bars every night and happy to answer.

The only truth we've found out is that nobody here seems sure what the facts are.

I live here and I have never seen the guy. But I am not out every night looking for the guy either.

I know a BG from Deja Vu (part of my "wine club") who says the owner is a "Khaek", but I wouldn't rely on her for reliable information about his actual ethnicity. Also, she doesn't see him much, and most of her stories concern the mama-sans, other BGs she either likes or detests and customers occasionally getting seriously injured.

I hear a great deal more about the French "owner" of Bacarra, but that is only because two of the BGs at Bacarra meet with me, separately, fairly regularly for wine and snacks outside the bar. They both love to gossip and have strong opinions about everything, particularly customers and Thai politics (yes, BGs do think about the latter). I tend to believe the things they say they saw with their own eyes (there is no money angle in making any of that up and their stories are pretty consistent), but discount many of the things they believe to be true but haven't actually seen.

The really only known supposed facts are' date=' he supposedly ... [/quote']

Reminds me of that Donald Rumsfeld quote.

We have all these bloggers who live in BKK and hit the bars multiple times a week. It'd be pretty easy for one of them to get to the bottom of some of these questions. The guy is probably there at his bars every night and happy to answer.

The only truth we've found out is that nobody here seems sure what the facts are.

Yep, I'm sure the guy would be happy to open his books to you to see if he is laundering money. :devil:

Archived