Staying in Cambo for a month or two

gobbledonk

Hi All,

Per my post in the BB, I anticipate spending a month+ in Cambo, but finding really up-to-date info is proving a bit of a challenge. The beauty of T360 is that you can usually find someone who is currently in the destination of your choice, or has recently returned.

Apologies if a lot of this is naive, but I'm going on what I've read here and elsewhere. Please feel free to correct any of this:

- people prefer the USD, but your change will be in Riel. Some ATMs dispense USD if you choose that currency (?)

- standard tourist visa is for 30 days, but you can pay for an 'extension' at any number of agencies.

- Pnomh Penh is no more dangerous than most US cities - not sure that this gives me a lot of comfort (what are the homicide stats for Atlanta ?), but it seems to be the consensus. Stick to crowded areas and dont carry passport/large sums - pretty standard stuff.

- good hotel rooms go for 30 USD a night, but an airconditioned room in PP will probably be around 400 USD a month if I shop around

- some have reported issues with the Viet girls, and I had a bad experience with a Viet on a previous trip (complete starfish), but overall your wallet is safer than it would be on Suk at 1am.

Any tips most welcome.

Gobble

-

Hi All,

- people prefer the USD, but your change will be in Riel. Some ATMs dispense USD if you choose that currency (?)

ATM's usually dispense USD. You pay everything in USD. Riel are only used for small change. It's no problem to find ATMs anymore, unlike 4-5 years ago.

- standard tourist visa is for 30 days, but you can pay for an 'extension' at any number of agencies.

Check the Khmer440.com forum details (the forum is IMHO very clickish and dominated by some 'old hands', but with some good avdvice).

- Pnomh Penh is no more dangerous than most US cities - not sure that this gives me a lot of comfort (what are the homicide stats for Atlanta ?), but it seems to be the consensus. Stick to crowded areas and dont carry passport/large sums - pretty standard stuff.

Don't carry neither large sums of cash nor valuables.

Always use guest houses/hotels with a room safe. Don't drink too much, be careful with drugs. If you end drunk in the street, your valuables, watch, mobile phone and shoes might be gone the next morning. :surprised:

As always, use common sense, be careful whom you trust - expats and Khmers alike.

Like in LOS, don't fuck with the locals. High-so Khmer are untouchable. For example, all people are searched for weapons at the entrance of the 'Heart of Darkness', except the rich Khmer kids who are most likely those who carry guns.

Don't do things you won't do in LOS (hopefully :p ), like driving without a license. Terrible accidents happen quite often and your health insurance won't pay in this case (Khmer440 currently has a thread about a head on crash of three Barang on a motobike. The driver was badly wounded and ended up in a BKK hospital and the insurance wants the money back).

BTW you'll need a real good health insurance, since hospitals in Cambo are very bad and in case of severe illness you'll need to be flown to BKK.

Don't walk at night outside the main tourist areas. Most of the time I had a personal motodup driver, who waited for me at restaurants/bars/discos. Agree prices in advance.

- some have reported issues with the Viet girls, and I had a bad experience with a Viet on a previous trip (complete starfish), but overall your wallet is safer than it would be on Suk at 1am.

I never had a viet girl. IMHO those girls are most likely those girls who are being forced to do the job against their will, with a Mamasan in the background.

I prefer Khmer girls anyway and I like to learn a little bit about local life and customs...

Just out of interest, how do you go about selecting/getting a good motodup driver?

I will fly out to LOS next Monday and I have thought about spending a few days in Cambodia.

Take one recommended by your hotel/waiting in front of your hotel regularily. They will less likely try to something on you compared to a driver you pick up drunk at 2am in front of a bar...

I am usually in bed by 9/10pm ... alone or with selected company, but you advice is good, and sound.

A friend of mine, had just been robbed in Ho Chi Min City, a few weeks past, he was drunk, hoped on a bike with a so called brother and sister who offered to show him the sights and where to go. He stated, they seemed harmless enough, the boy riding, him in the middle and the young lass behind him, holding on close, her arms around him. Waved them goodbye, went for a short stroll into the bar they suggested, reached in to get his mobile, gone! Wallet, gone!

I prey not to be that stupid either.

Mind you, I would not have gotten on the bike outright, with someone I just met - young asian foxes excepted, but as long as I am driving.

Archived