A "CIVIL WAR" IN OUR FUTURE..??

SurinBum

... that's because Mr T was the only leader to deliver anything other than empty promises of previous leaders to the rural masses.

Oddly enough when I came to LOS in the early 1970s many rural villages had no electricity or running water. Hospitals were few and far between. Upcountry roads were often unpaved. Rural children usually quit school after the 4th grade.

Thank God good old Thaksin changed all that in the 1980s and early '90s! :content:

The absence of electric and running water is still a common item throughout much of the countryside.

But nothing like it used to be. A friend married his wife here in the 1970s, when he was in the USAF. She is from Phayao. She didn't come back on a visit for 20 years. When she did, she told me she was amazed at all of the changes.

I remember when folks bought battery powered TV sets. That was a recently as 1978. Even in Phitsanulok, a major city with an airport and a large army base, I kept a kerosine lamp handy. Whenever there was a thunderstorm, the power plant shut - in case some power lines were knocked down. We'd have to wait until the next day and the lines were checked before we got any power back. Blackouts for unknown reasons were fairly common too.

Archived