Well, it's here. Apple Tablet. Ipad.

dave32

The one thing that has kept me from adding Apple gadgets like the iPhone or iPad to my collection (besides my iPod) is the fact that Apple sells cripple ware. Yes, it's sleek, yes the user experience is vastly superior to comparable devices, but...Apple wants to control what you do with it. want to buy software? Go to the App store. Want to play some videos? It sure as hell won't play your divx, xivd's or mkv's. Want tp play some music? There's no codec support for flac and wma. You either convert them, or if you want to avoid the hassle, buy it in the iTunes store.

Apple gives you a superior user experience, but the trade off is that Apple does everything it can to dictate what you do with it. I want to control what i do with my gadgets without the risk of Apple bricking it.

:yeahthat:

Excellent post. That sums up apple to me--it used to be subversive, now it's like joining America Online.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The one thing that has kept me from adding Apple gadgets like the iPhone or iPad to my collection (besides my iPod) is the fact that Apple sells cripple ware. Yes' date=' it's sleek, yes the user experience is vastly superior to comparable devices, but...Apple wants to control what you do with it. want to buy software? Go to the App store. Want to play some videos? It sure as hell won't play your divx, xivd's or mkv's. Want tp play some music? There's no codec support for flac and wma. You either convert them, or if you want to avoid the hassle, buy it in the iTunes store.

Apple gives you a superior user experience, but the trade off is that Apple does everything it can to dictate what you do with it. I want to control what i do with my gadgets without the risk of Apple bricking it.[/quote']

:yeahthat:

Excellent post. That sums up apple to me--it used to be subversive, now it's like joining America Online.

Agreed, I don't feel that comfortable working in a closed environment. But I knew it when I decided to switch to Apple and until now I did not feel any limitation.

It is no problem to play any codec on an Apple PC. Just use the VLC player.

And in regard to MP3, Apple is selling DRM free music. Anyway I have never purchased anything at the apple store. All my music and my movies are coming from Piratebay and I have no problems to consume it on my Macbook Pro.

But it might be different with the iPad. It's (iPhone) OS seems to be much more restrictive than Apple's OS X.6

Off course you can play them on your Macbook. It's a PC after all. There's no such luck on the iPhone or iPad. Off course they could add this support, but hey, that would only benefit the consumer and not Apple. Apple is greedy, imho. Jobs says that Googles' don't be evil slogan is bullshit. He's right off course, but hardly in the position to cast the first stone!

Off course you can play them on your Macbook. It's a PC after all. There's no such luck on the iPhone or iPad. Off course they could add this support, but hey, that would only benefit the consumer and not Apple. Apple is greedy, imho. Jobs says that Googles' don't be evil slogan is bullshit. He's right off course, but hardly in the position to cast the first stone!

I guess it's not a big problem for the iPhone, but you are right that this might become really annoying with the iPad, especially in regard to movies.

:mad:

Archived