Well, it's here. Apple Tablet. Ipad.

dave32

Do I Need one NO

Will I get One YES

Laptop and Netbook are better

As others have pointed out the iPhone only came into itself when the 3GS (fux the 3G) came out, and the fact that TRUE rolled out 3G in BKK made it much more of a gadget for a geek like me.

It is an oversized iPhone that cannot make phone calls, but anyone who has ever used an iPhone for the things it is capable of apart from making phone calls, the iPad is what we have been waiting for.

How many people actually use PC for more than just browsing the web, listening to music or watching movies? FFS if I have any processor intensive applications I need to run the PC's / Network at work can take care of that, but an oversized iPhone will take care of 90% of my needs. I admit that I am in the minority whereas I spend 75% of my life on the road / living out of a suitcase, but I cannot wait to get my hands on a couple of iPads, any gadget I get the wife also wants one.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I the only person that still believes that a telephone is for making calls, a camera is for taking photos, a computer is for emailing and surfing the net, the TV is for watching movies and the stereo is for listening to music?

I won't be getting one just as I won't be getting an iPhone.

Sometimes I enjoy peace and quiet.

Yes you are Wake up mate

I used to charge a phone and charge an MP3 player then carry 2 devices with me, with the iPhone I have both devices in one and also have inbuilt Satnav capabilities.

When home in BKK (well out and about not home) I use my iPhone tethered to my netbook to connect to 3G network, iPad will make it easier.

Guest lazyphil

bust for once we're singing from the same hyme sheet :surprised: .....then i got folks mocking my old panasonic tv....wheres my 50 inch lcd?...they say.....sorry, until something worthy is made to watch i might think about it. new series of open all hours bbc?

Hi,

"Am I the only person that still believes that a telephone is for making calls, a camera is for taking photos, a computer is for emailing and surfing the net, the TV is for watching movies and the stereo is for listening to music?"

Nope, I feel the same. The only concession I've made is having a phone that can access my email. Very convenient when upcountry (which is pretty much the only time I use it).

Sanuk!

The one thing that has kept me from adding Apple gadgets like the iPhone or iPad to my collection (besides my iPod) is the fact that Apple sells cripple ware. Yes, it's sleek, yes the user experience is vastly superior to comparable devices, but...Apple wants to control what you do with it. want to buy software? Go to the App store. Want to play some videos? It sure as hell won't play your divx, xivd's or mkv's. Want tp play some music? There's no codec support for flac and wma. You either convert them, or if you want to avoid the hassle, buy it in the iTunes store.

Apple gives you a superior user experience, but the trade off is that Apple does everything it can to dictate what you do with it. I want to control what i do with my gadgets without the risk of Apple bricking it.

Home land phone and PC. No cell phone, no laptop, no netbook. I don't need or want access to information 24/7 (at home will do) and object to the morons driving while using their cell phones/laptops.

Yep mobile phone and a laptop does me very well.

Fuck the landline.....recent experience on my mobile

"Hello can I speak to Bust please"

"Yes this is Bust who am I speaking to?"

"Can you confirm your DOB please"

"Yes can you?"

"I am afraid sir under the privacy act I am not allowed to"

"Hey it's my DOB"

"I tell you what...you give me my DOB and I will confirm if it's correct"

" I am afraid under the privacy act I cannot do that sir"

"Then sorry I can't help you then"

This was followed by a very long pause to which there was a mumble then she hung up :rotl:

The thing is, it is the future....small, highly portable, sleek, multi functional, touch screen. It is how computers look in futuristic movies....and if you've used a iPhone you'll know their patented touch screen technology beats the crap out of other manufacturers. I can SMS so rapidly on the iPhone 3G in landscape mode, much faster than on Nokia's/LG's etc.

Apple will play the long game again. The iPhone on version one wasn't a massive hit, but the 3G and 3GS have been enormous successes. Thus it will be again.

Btw, it doesn't have a standard USB port as it connects via the dock, the same way as an iPhone does. Apple dock one end, USB plug at the other, straight into your iMac/MacBook.

Actually, the original iPhone was enormously successful. Plus they got those folks to pay again to upgrade to the newer models! :devil:

If you have an iPhone why the hell would you buy an iPad that does far less and is less portable? The iPad can't replace a laptop or an iPhone. That pretty much kills it for biz travelers. It isn't more portable than a Mac Air.

If you have an iPhone why the hell would you buy an iPad that does far less and is less portable? The iPad can't replace a laptop or an iPhone. That pretty much kills it for biz travelers. It isn't more portable than a Mac Air.

I say it again: the iPad is a pure consumers product. With the current configuration is unusuable for business. And doesn't neither replace the iPhone nor a laptop (for most users anyway). It's a new niche product which IMHO will become a success, especially with some added features like a camera and an USB port. I am sure that we will see some missing features implemented in the 3rd gen. iPad latest.

Archived