Euthanasia Pro or Anti

Mekong

There have been a couple of high profile court cases in the UK this year already on the leagality of "The Good Death" (From the Greek Eu = Good/Well, Thanatos = Death).

As a select few BM's I know in real life were aware of, my sister-in-law (wifes sister) was terminaly ill, having beaten breast cancer in 2007 she collapsed last October and was rushed into hospital with a suspected brain tumour. Further tests showed that the cancer had then reaappeared in Brain, Kidneys, Ovaries and Colon ... poor woman was riddled with it and the writing was on the wall.

After a month in Bumrungrad she was allowed home but one month later rushed back into Bumrungrad and lapsed into a Coma 2 weeks before christmas, somehow against all odds she fought off death and was released a week into 2010.

Since last October my wife has been on compassionate leave from work taking care of her "Big Sister", my in laws have spent most of their time down in BKK from Ubon and other family members have been in attendance for what everyone knew but would not admit were her last days, even though her physician is a family cousin he could not admit the obvious.

After her release in early January my sister in law explained how she had been through enough pain and suffering already and asked family to allow her to die painlessly next time she went into remmission and after much soul searching family agreed to respect her request.

Last Friday she collapsed again and was rushed back into Bumrungrad in her third coma, after intensive bloodtests family physician declared that her condition was irrecoverable and if she was to come out of the coma the pain would be worse and frequency before next one would be less. Family took the difficult decision to respect her request and agreed to increase the morphine dosage until she finaly passed away in peace having never come out of last coma and not having to suffer anymore pain.

Morality, Ethics and Legality can be questioned about the decision but having seen the suffering I saw my sister in law go through I know which side I take on this but I would like to ask the board on opinions about Euthanasia.

Hi,

Definitely Pro. As Phil pointed out, we are compassionate enough to allow our pets to die to prevent them from needless suffering, but somehow it is different to show the same compassion to fellow humans.

On top of that I feel that I should have the right to die. My life, my choice! (With the caveat that my death doesn't endanger others of course; suicide bomb is NOT an acceptable form of euthanasia)

Sanuk!

Well put!

My best friend of over 40 years went into a coma after surgery and the hospital said there was no way he would ever come out of it. My friend already had the legal papers stating that if he was on life support machines and would never come off of them, pull the plug.

My friend's older was headed to the hospital to "pull the plug" per his brother's wish but he died before he got to the hospital.

This was in the USA, so yes, respect the wishes as to death and best to have something in writing to make it legal and eliminate questions.

Tough call, but the right one. May the poor gal rest in peace. :(

I know a guy whose mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. The MDs pushed hard for surgery. He asked them one simple question: Will she live longer if she has surgery? They answered no.

He decided not to poor her through all that suffering for nothing. The docs were horrified and continued to argue strongly for surgery. One has to suspect that were looking at it from a financial point of view for themselves.

Well put!

My best friend of over 40 years went into a coma after surgery and the hospital said there was no way he would ever come out of it. My friend already had the legal papers stating that if he was on life support machines and would never come off of them, pull the plug.

My friend's older was headed to the hospital to "pull the plug" per his brother's wish but he died before he got to the hospital.

This was in the USA, so yes, respect the wishes as to death and best to have something in writing to make it legal and eliminate questions.

Medical personnel (especially EMS) can get tripped up on living wills and legal documents, in any case of confusion they have to err on the side of the patient and will go into life support mode.

If you're in a terminal situation and don't want to be put on life support if it comes to that, file a DNR (do not resuscitate) at the hospital. It's respected and identified on your medical bracelet and chart.

Pro.

My friend here in BKK was in the hospital last year and "crashed" at 10PM on night. The doctor called me and asked me what to do...I told the doc to "do all he can and spare no expense!".

My friend came out of the coma and is on the mend but I surprised that the doc would phone me for instructions...if I had said, don't do nothing, let the guy die, would the doc/hospital have done so?

best to have something in writing to make it legal and eliminate questions.

Yep. It's called an "advanced directive". Everybody should have one. Takes the "heat" off those to who you provide any responsibility for decisions which you may be unable to make.

BTW, while Dave32 is correct above, it should be noted that you may not want to have a complete "do not recusitate" in your directive. For example, what if you should have a problem at a hospital while visiting a friend? Quick action to recusitate could save your life and give you many more years of quality life. Just something to think about.

HH

Archived