Air quality in PP ...

gobbledonk

Guys,

Staying right in the centre of town, a stone throws from Sharky, and I have to say I miss the afternoon showers which usually settle the dust and emissions in BKK - its hot and dry here, and the vegetation looks more like Broome than Bangkok.

After a morning of feeling nauseous, I stuck my finger down my throat and was greeted by an eruption of the kind of black nightmare that you would normally associate with a sci-fi movie. Feel better now, but the Strepsils are working hard to remove the rasp from my throat - just a heads up for anyone contemplating a similar downtown hotel. Sanitation isnt even on par with Vientiane or anywhere I've been in Isaan, and all that rubbish lying around in the street adds to the dust whipped up by the traffic. Its a bit like the taste in your mouth after a trip to the local tip.

The hospital masks dont look quite so silly any more. :)

Its becoming clear that medicine would not have been a great career choice for moi - several violent episodes of projectile vomiting have forced me to move my diagnosis to food poisoning, and the culprit to breakfast : two cups of black coffee are the only things I can think of that would account for the delightful black coloring of my former stomach contents.

Feel better for 20 or so minutes after each upchuck, then a new batch brews itself and its back to the porcelain bus. However shitty your day has been, I'm thinking I'd gleefully swap places with you right now. In trips all over Asia, eating anything that presented itself, to be finally done in by bloody bacon and eggs is a cruel blow indeed.

Gobble

Thanks for the support guys - stayed in bed last night and got a decent nights sleep and it has done wonders.

Downside is that I missed a guided tour of the nightlife areas from one of the behind-the-bar gals at Sharky : maybe tonite. She is taking me out of PP this morning to take some photos of the mountains, then off to do the usual Royal Palace/temples thang : s few bucks in tips for her, some money for the car and everyone is happy. Even if she is getting a kickback on the car hire, I don't begrudge her that, although I had to bite my tongue when she told me that she has to send money to her siblings because her mother and father are gone. 'In Thailand, that would just be two less on the payroll' was my initial reaction - given the history of Cambo, that's harsh even for the eternal cynics on this board. She told me she doesn't take people to the Killing Fields exhibit or anything like that, and that is just fine with me. How the hell do you sleep after seeing something like that ?

Here's hoping breakfast goes down and stays down :)

Thanks for the support guys - stayed in bed last night and got a decent nights sleep and it has done wonders.

Downside is that I missed a guided tour of the nightlife areas from one of the behind-the-bar gals at Sharky : maybe tonite. :)

There is a great disco, I forgot its name, 100% Khmer, but no arrogant high-so Khmer like in HOD, also no Barang. It's in a side street near #136 street. I was there only once, but I liked it much more than HOD or Orange and even Pontoon.

Pontoon is great to start an evening, sitting/lying on a couch, with a nice Khmer girl in your arm, listening to nice music and watching the Tonle Sap flow by...

Archived