Songkran. Worth it or just skip?

dave32

On the first day of songran last year in pattaya I jumped in a baht buss at soi yensabai on the way to big C. Seated opposite me was a 20 something black couple from USA, the girl was extremely attactive and we spoke briefly and they had only been here 2 days. we were soon hit with a little water and the couiple freaked out and did not know what was happening. As we moved up second road the intensity increased. Black chick was wearing a wrap around cotton dress that very thin. She started freaking and said to me OMG I am not wearing any panties. :) just what i wanted to hear.

by soi 13 things were cranked up and they decided to abandon ship after soi 10. little did they know they were only 50 metres from soi 8 and hordes of yobs with buckets of water.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have never experienced Songkran, I would say that you have to do it once and then you can make a judgement for the future. Personally, I have spent several Songkrans in Chiangmai and like many other posters have had enough of it. In the past you knew that you would get soaked during daylight hours but that when the sun went down you could put on decent clothes and go out knowing all would be ok. Sadly, I have noticed over the last couple of years that the water thrwing goes on well after sunset, prompted largely by drunken farangs. As you are in a city with only a very few pre bookable taxis, you are obliged to walk or take a tuk tuk unless you have your own transport which invariably makes the journey a wet one. All money, phones, watches have to be well wrapped and take plenty of eye ointment with you as the water that is thrown is from dubious sources.

If you go, enjoy it. I have well and truly joined the 'stay out of Thailand Songkran brigade'.

as for water quality i saw most 44 gal drums in pattaya filled from water trucks which bars pay money to fill and extra for blocks of ice (didnt see any ice cubes). as the day goes on and water is flowing freely down the street i have seen the old drunken farang use that water in their water blasters. I had avoided it for years but then gave it a go in pattaya. Was fun once and i mean a lot of fun like the worlds largest wet T shirt comp.

But doubt i would do it again, too many drunken yobbo arseholes.

Avoid it like the plague in Bangkok and Pattaya (too many drunk idiot farang who go waaay too far), elsewhere it can be OK at least the first time as long as you're dressed for getting wet and not carrying an unprotected cellphone or camera with you. Be very wary of the guys with buckets/highpowered water guns if you wear glasses or contact lens.

Personally, I avoid Thailand during Songkran.

Evel

:devil:

Archived