Hidden Thailand: Wa Wi

Julian2

This may be marked as Wa Wee on some maps.

We had a run up there on Sunday with a family friend and I found it an amazing place.

Mae Salong is widely accepted as "the" ethnic Chinese town in Thailand but Wa Wi is far more authentic and considerably larger.

They certainly came up with the best steamed buns I've eaten anywhere and the noodle soup was exceptional. Cutest waitress I've seen in a while as well.

The drive took about an hour from Mae Suai on the Chiang Rai/Chiang Mai road, great scenery and about 20kms of dirt road in good condition.

Excellent pictures.

Thanks.

I'd love to take a ride some day just like this one. And see the 'real' Thailand.

I've got to begin to plan my next trip and actually do something other than take up space on the corner stool at the Nana Beer Bar.

VerySmallNana.jpg

These photos were taken on the same day, the Thai friend took us to his sister's village much further back in the mountains, at the end of about 20kms of bad road.

I had to ask permission to wander around, it was a largely ethnic Chinese community that I suspect were still doing a little illegal gardening.

• 1 month later...

Archived