Los Cabos

ThaiHome

Charlie Brown is owned by Brits. The food is interesting and edible, but about as Mexican as you'd expect to find at a Catfish Cabin in Memphis, TN. :p

Only really good Mexican place I've even been to in Bangkok was owned by a Tex-Mex in the 1970s. When he left, it was turned into a seafood restaurant!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I won't disagree with the part about it being a bit on the pricey side. But it is, for example, FAR better Tex-Mex than I can get in Huntspatch. Closest I ever found in Austin TX was a little place on South Congress a little over three decades ago, long since gone.

It was across the street from a strip club. One of the girls grabbed me one night, told me she had the munchies and was going across the street, and would I like to tag along? She was more than a little surprised when I took her up on it. And dinner was great fun and GOOD! food.

This was one of those hole-in-the-wall places you'd never give a second look, unless you happened to notice the lines out into the parking lot every Friday and Saturday night.

Usually, the fancier a place looks, the less authentic it will be.

That's essentially true, but some exceptions to the rule come to mind. In LA, they might be La Serenata di Garibaldi or Tamayo, both in East LA but not cheap. Enriques in LB is good too, and moderately priced.

Seems to me that most Angelinos nowadays consider a simple soft shelled taco as good Mexican food, hence the demise of really good hole-in-the-wall places where it was all about mamacita's sauces.

I still have a few favorite old places that survive in West LA though.

Damn, looks great but NM is really far and I don't think I'll get there to try it. :sad:

Funny story about Tamayo and the guy who first took me there. He worked for a federally funded East LA development group that made the restaurant happen.

He was also locally famous for buying rounds, and recently told me he'd slowed down on his drinking. He had a favorite little known brand of tequila stocked at Tamayo and another place in Washington DC where he made lobbying trips.

At the DC restaurant/bar, he bumped into the tequila rep from Mexico, who said he was visiting his top 10 clients, #1 being Tamayo and #2 being the one they were in in DC.

That's when my friend decided he was drinking too much and shouting for too many rounds. One idiot driving the booze sales of a company in one of the world's largest markets. Great guy. :worship:

Dude ... are you at Redstone? :hmmm:

The really good Mexican places are always little hole in the wall restaurants that are discovered by accident. Usually, the fancier a place looks, the less authentic it will be. :(

No, not at Redstone. Probably just as well: If I was at Redstone, I'd probably be working at Marshall Space Flight Center, and they're scheduled to take a big hit from the Ares cancellation and the Shuttle program termination.

Archived