Do you ever long for the old Bangkok ?

gobbledonk

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Flashermac

Do you know where the NCO club was in Bangkok in mid 1967?

I think it was around the lower Sukhumvit area but not really sure. Some Thai friends say it might have been the Nana Hotel which had some slot machines and was off limits to Thai people. I was TDY here for a few weeks and had my first meal at that place.

Thanks if you can remember.

I don't know, but I can ask friends who were here then. As I recall, the nightlife area was mainly on New Petchburi Road. I first picked up a gal at the HP Massage Parlor on Petchburi in April '73. Patpong was only a few bars then; Cowboy and Nana didn't exist.

A lot of GIs were quartered in Bangkok at Saphan Kwai in the Liberty Hotel area. There was a small Farang nightlife street there - no gogo, just sit bars with hostesses. There was also a little gogo bar area at the Gaysorn Plaza north of the old Erewan Hotel and behind the Thai Yonok Coffee Shop (where Sogo is now). Got my first Thailand freebie from a cashier at one of those bars.

Commissioned officers stayed at the Chao Phaya Hotel, which was chartered by the US military. Don't remember where NCOs and EM stayed, but the Nana Hotel was built for the GI market (especially R&R). I was still in the inactive reserve when I came here, but usually stayed away from the GI places. I still looked like a GI and never really liked being around MPs!

I really do miss the gold old days when most of the whores on Soi 4 were small brown gals from the Northeast, not tall white males from Ekkamai. I dont share the prevailing attitude on this board that the bleached skin and long legs of the Bangkok 'elite' is the epitome of sexual attractiveness.

Archived