Cash, Plastic, or Traveler's Cheques?

Savittre

Hi Guys,

I want to know what will put the most Baht in my wallet after the transaction- Would that be bank notes, debit card, or traveler's cheques?

Second question- should I just change enough money at the airport to get me to town, or can I go ahead and change a larger amount because the airport rate is as good as what I'll get in town?

Thanks!

I've found that the Airport is as good as anywhere to change money or draw from the ATM.

There's a 150 Baht surcharge on virtually all ATM transactions from foreign banks now.

So cash is probably the best return but you have the hassle of carrying it.

I don't know anyone who fucks around with Travellers Cheques anymore but I suppose you can still get them.

>>There's a 150 Baht surcharge on virtually all ATM transactions from foreign banks now.

... there's one definite exeptio that I use all the time.... the Aeon Bank... no 150 baht fee... and I am told that the Bank of Ayudhya has stopped charging too, but haven't tried that peronally yet.

For Aussies.

I mainly use Wizard Clear Advantage MasterCard. It's brilliant - for Aussie residents only. http://www.wizard.com.au/creditcards/task.aspx?id=... Absolutely no overseas charges, no annual fee, and no need for special bank account with monthly fees (NAB?) - completely free!! and from examining my account I have been getting a better rate than even travellers cheques which pay a higher rate than cash at the Pattaya bank kiosks.

I have my money earning good interest in another Aussie bank, then use netbanking and Bpay every so often to top up my Wizard account, so it operates like a debit card and I never pay any overdue fees. No frequent flyer perks etc, but I don't care.

Apply well in the advance, because they make you jump through a few ID verification hoops before you can use it overseas. Try it out by withdrawing more than A$500 in one hit at an Aussie ATM before you leave to make sure everything is running smoothly. They'll allow you to take out less than $500 overseas WITHOUT the verification, but if you stuff up... bugger, your card will be frozen. So get the verification before you leave.

You can only withdraw max A$1,000 per day

Two Thai bank sites which give local exchange rates:

http://www.scb.co.th/html/exchange/bk-txtexchange.htm

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Foreign%20Exchange/FX%20Rates/Pages/Default.aspx

:beer:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies, I got some info I can use from them. CASH IS KING- that's good to know. So is the advice re: Aeon bank. Ahyudhya bank, too.

I also got a lot of good info from other posts, but they were all about WHERE to go (in BKK or Pattaya) to change money for the best rate, rather than which to use- cash, plastic, etc.

Thanks!

WTF...this has been discussed 8955 times...CASH is king...best excahnge rate (Siam Exchange), T/C is OK IF you have $500 T/Cs...ATM VARIES DAILY.

2 weeks ago when I was there SD took me to a place he called the "Chinese Store" on a sub-soi off soi 22. Got the best exchange rate of the trip!

:drunk::drunk::drunk: Don't remember the exact name or place it was Superbowl Monday you already know that story! :drunk::drunk::drunk:

S1

Archived