Cash, Plastic, or Traveler's Cheques?

Savittre

I'll check the Bank of Ayudhya next time out.

Aeon definitely doesn't charge it, good luck in finding one of their ATMs though.

Seems they are mostly at Carre Four stores; On Nut, Rama 4, Phrakanong (Jusco), etc. Do a google and check their website for locations.

I'll check the Bank of Ayudhya next time out.

Aeon definitely doesn't charge it' date=' good luck in finding one of their ATMs though. [/quote']

Seems they are mostly at Carre Four stores; On Nut, Rama 4, Phrakanong (Jusco), etc. Do a google and check their website for locations.

I live in Chiang Rai and there's none at the Big C mall, our major shopping centre.

I've heard of one at a small Top supermarket but a couple of half hearted searches haven't found it.

Of course once you start driving miles out of your way to save 150B on ATM fees you're defeating the purpose aren't you? :D

How about opening a local bank account and then transferring funds (telegraphic trans.)from your home bank ac.?

:yeahthat:

Notwithstanding Cav's misgivings (its bank policy not country) opening a Thai Bank Account is the way to go even for infrequent visitors

Electronic xfer from your home country can be OK, but the exchange rate can be crap.

I xfr'd $5000 USD from my US Chase bank account, which they xfr'd thru BKK Bank in New York which gave a crap exchange rate!

Even before I did the xfr I asked what the exchange rate would be and Chase bank said they did not know and would not know until after the xfr had been made...so throw the dice.

Cash is still king, but a few years ago it wasn't. One thing for sure, the banks always make $$$.

You can always have an educated guess. if you now what bank you are sending money to, check out their web site, most, if not all, will have their money rates published.

You must send your money in your currency, do not allow the bank to change it to the forwarding countries currency as they will always gouge their percentage from it. I have sent lots of money to Thailand (having two ex mia nois) ... I could always predict within 100-300 baht what they would get.

What I am talking about is a real squeeze of the buffalo, trying to get every stinking cent of out the transfer.

I actual practice, maybe you lose a few hundred baht, which is not a deal breaker.

Now with the USD under 33 Baht, not real attractive to be working in USD, la dolce a vita.

Archived