Walking Street Bustling March 9, 2010

expat

Hmmm - methinks lots of gawkers and very few punters, but I guess its all good when there are that many people on the street. Getting tired of dodging tour groups from Korea and China tho, but no aggro so thats a plus. Talked to a Brit last night who told me that there has been a steady mellowing of the attitude that saw guys brawling over someone wearing the 'wrong' colours, but I'm still skeptical. Certainly plenty of Farang couples here - bit of a surprise.

Spent several hours in 'Hot Tuna' last night watching the band (fantastic lead guitarists, IMO, even if their set is a tad predictable in places).

Confirmed much of what I suspected - quite a few Cheap Charlies would park themselves outside the bar, clearly enjoying the music, then move on. At its peak, the bar itself was nowhere near full and I stayed till about 1am. Walking St might be up for a name change - Gawking St.

Its one long sideshow, granted, but sooner or later someone has to spend a few baht in a bar to keep the lights on for the next night's set of rubbernecks. I'm doing my best, people, and that included a couple of hundred baht for the band - cant think of a single GoGo where the 'return on investment' has been as good. They just have to find a way of getting a few more bods off the street and perched on a barstool.

Archived