So Cal Meeting Anybody?

Hugh_Hoy

Yeah, I have great memories of the place. Lifeguarding at a hotel in Mazatlan the summer I got out of high school was the time of my life. Some good memories of driving to Cabo and points along the way to surf, as well.

Now, I'm pretty much of the same opinion as HH about the place. The TJ Nanapong trip was quick; got a room at a Holiday Inn and left ASAP in the morning. TJ is nasty, but when Frozin1's in town, what are you gonna do? You gotta show up.

The idea of meeting at a bar north of the border never occurred to us. Funny, we were at Chicago Club and Hee was wearing a Sharky's tee shirt from PP. Some other customer was wearing the identical shirt. Small mongering world!

Once upon a time, it was a nice country. :(

Off topic. Have you ever read Ask the Dust?

For some reason this discussion made me think of it. One of a handful of books that had a strong impact on me. It seeps in.

Tells of the author's struggle to carry out a worthwhile existence in LA during the depression and his love/hate relationship with a proud Mexican waitress.

They did a film adaptation which is so-so, and I wish they wouldn't had because this is one of those books that means something, somehow.

"One night I was sitting on the bed in my hotel room on Bunker Hill, down in the very middle of Los Angeles. It was an important night in my life, because I had to make a decision about the hotel. Either I paid up or I got out. that was what the note said, the note the landlady had put under my door. A great problem, deserving acute attention. I solved it by turning out the lights and going to bed."

Opening of Ask the Dust - John Fante

Archived