Phoenix Country Club, Pattaya

SpiceMan

Nothing has been posted to this sub-forum for almost 3 months, so I thought I would post something.

I was recently in Pattaya and decided to have a game of golf. I got a brochure from my hotel and read it by the pool. Wow, was I spoiled for choice! So many courses and from the photos they all looked to be in superb condition. The week before I had played in Wales and had to put up with winter greens, rain and mud.

In Pattaya, I only had time to play 1 course, so I had to pick the right one. I can hit the ball a long way but I'm not accurate. In the brochure, I read that Phoenix had wide fairways and was "a dream for big hitters". I booked with Thai-Ger Golf Tours, which cost 1800 baht including transport and green fee. Club hire was a further 400. When I got to Phoenix, I learned that club hire was 800, so I had saved 400 by getting my clubs from Thai-Ger.

I was put in a 4 ball with a Scottish man and a Japanese couple. I shared the cost of the cart (buggy) with the Scottish guy, so it came to 250 each. All 4 of us turned out to be high handicappers, so nobody would have felt like they were in the wrong group. The course was in excellent condition. The holes were long but very tolerant. The greens were medium fast but the speed was consistent on all 18. They must have been cut at the same time, none of this bullshit where some greens are fast, some are slow and you can't predict them. There were not many water hazards but evidently enough for me to lose a ball. But I didn't play badly by my own standards, so I was happy. The Japanese man lost his temper half way round and threw his clubs a couple of times!

All in all, I throughly enjoyed my game of golf in Pattaya. I would highly recommend Phoenix Country Club.

I forgot to mention the tip for the caddy. I had been told by the Thai-Ger driver that the expected tip was 300 baht, up from 250 when I last played. My partner gave his caddy 500 and I wasn't going to be outdone by a Scotsman, so I gave my caddy the same.

The Scotsman saved B250 on the cart and instead of pocketing it he gave it to his caddy by doubling her tip. :up:

Actually I usually tip my caddy B500 so he probably would have done so anyway even if he hadn't saved on the buggy hire. :up::up:

The myth about the Scots being tight, really is a myth. :content:

Gene - At the counter in the club house, the Scotsman approached me and asked if he could be my partner. I said "Ok but I need a cart".

He said "I will go halves".

USV - I too, was surprised to see the Japanese gent throw his driver. His game hadn't deteriorated so something else must have upset him. Its possible I putted out of turn on the previous green and he may have overreacted. After throwing his driver he calmed down until his chip shot went wrong and he threw the iron.

In my experience Scots are not tight at all. It is an undeserved myth. Certainly, the guy I played with was generous. He also didn't hesitate to buy refreshments for his caddy as we went round. A golfer would have to be pretty mean to not do that, though.

I thought the Japanese had a reputation for being very restrained. Maybe that is another myth. Or the Japanese guy sees golf as one of those few outlets where he can let his standards drop. But people shouldn't throw their clubs. Outbursts of anger can put other golfers off their game.

I went through a mild club throwing phase, but find it now more satisfy to now just drop it and walk away after I make a I bad swing. Some what rude to caddie, but most understand and will try to cheer you up.

Phoenix is a good course, probably my favorite in the Pattaya area. I think the most challenging is Plantation.

TH

Archived