Train from Airport

BJ_Blackowitz

Well I heard, only that of course, that it's all built and working. They did open it briefly last year on HM's birthday, just for a day or so. Presumably it had to be working for that, at least in part.

Let's remember that the airport rail link is going to be operated by SRT (State Railway of Thailand) It is my understanding that they failed to conclude negotiations in a timely manner such that SRT staff could be recruited/trained to operate the rail link before about May of this year give or take a month or so.

I wonder how the airport rail link will compare to the rest of the SRT machine in due course.

"Airport train to open Aug 12

The Airport Link from the Phaya Thai and Makkasan areas of downtown Bangkok to Suvarnabhumi airport is set to open for passengers on Aug 12, the birthday of Her Majesty the Queen, deputy Transport Minister Sopon Zarum said on Friday.

He conceded some facilities, including the baggage carousel system, would not be ready on the opening day, but he said he needed to speed up its launch.

The luggage-loading service at Makkasan station would not be operational, so there might be some inconvenience for passengers with heavy bags.

The construction of the 28-km route is 96 per cent complete. There have been delays to work at some stations and route sections due to hold-ups in land acquisitions, said SRT deputy governor Prasert Attanan.

The SRT plans to collect a fare of 150 baht from passengers taking non-stop trains while those travelling on trains that stop at every station will pay between 15 and 45 baht."

Source: Thailand Construction News, Edition 154

Archived