Driving in Thailand & Rules of the Road

Mentors

i find this :tophat:

Rules & Regulations

Drive on the left side of the road

The legal age for driving cars is 18

The legal age for riding a motorcycle up to 110cc is 15; 18 is the legal age for riding a motorcycle over 110cc

It is compulsory for a driver to have their driving licence and a copy of the vehicle registration document (Blue Book, Lem Tabian)

Valid Thai or International Driving Licences are accepted

Every vehicle must have a tax sticker, which has to be renewed annually at the local Department of Land Transport Office (DLT)

Every vehicle must have at least third party compulsory motor insurance, which has to be renewed annually at the local Department of Land Transport Office (DLT)

It is compulsory to wear a seat belt in the front seats of a car. Fines for not wearing a seatbelt can be paid at the local police station

[color:red]Blood-alcohol limit is 0.5 mg[/color]

Speeding fines must be paid at the local police station

Vehicles with red registration plates are not permitted to drive at night

From 7 May 2008 a driver may only use a mobile cellular telephone with a handsfree system

Other things to take into account when driving in Thailand:

Flashing of headlights by other vehicles is a warning signal meaning "get out of my way" and does not indicate "you may make your manoeuvre", as it does in some Western countries

Drivers of larger vehicles may assume that smaller vehicles will give way

Always check for motorbikes when opening car doors on the side of the road as they frequently travel up the inside space between the road and the pavement

It is not obligatory for children's car seats to be used

Anyone wishing to change the colour of their car must inform the DLT who will change the details in the registration book

A frequently used method of warning road users of a breakdown in the road ahead is to cover the road with tree branches

Traffic signs

Traffic signs - warning and regulatory - are in Thai. They may have English translations below the Thai names.

more infos:

http://bangkok.angloinfo.com/countries/thailand/driving.asp

What is actually the speedlimit on the highway ( outside BKK)

The speed limit is signposted and is usually 90 Km/h for cars although in some areas there will be signposts indicating that the limit is increased to 100 Km/h or 120 Km/h.

I usual drive 90, my wife 100. :dunno:

Mentors,

One thing missing from your list is "Drivers Wallet".

My Drivers Wallet is in the center console all the time and consists of my Thai Driving Licene, a 100 Baht Note, a Fifty Baht Note and 2-3 20 Baht Notes. When stopped by police for (alledged) traffic infringment I pull out the wallet to get my licence and they see only a couple of hundred Baht in it, keeps payment levels down.

• 2 weeks later...

been driving here for over ten years now and ive never had an international license, avis who i usually book with told me a uk driving license is sufficent and true to there word and a million traffic stops along the way, ive only produced passport and uk DL.

i always wai & sawadee the policeman who stops me and 9/10 times i get away without paying nothing, the only times i have payed is when ive been clocked over the speed limit since they introduced the lasers, and usually u can avoid that if oncoming vehicles are flashing main beams wildly, lol.

i drive on average about 150km a day, and i find it enlighting that i can do almost anything i want without the hassle i get in the uk, i do respect the road though as i have seen lots of nasty accidents but thats because the thai driving test can be simply passed with a 500baht note.

i have hit a few dogs in my time and thats always resulted in the front bumper & bodykit being ripped off but a 1000baht later and everythings fixed, even my missus has reversed hercrv into a pylon which toally fucked the rear up but a local(decent) garage fixed it for less than 10,000baht, in the uk u would of been looking at 1000pound uk.

my tips for driving in thailand is avoid thanon plonchit near where u can get on the express way as everytime i go near there five-o always see the falang driving a car, pull me over, say i crossed the single white line & charg :surprised: e 200 baht.

been driving here for over ten years now and ive never had an international license, avis who i usually book with told me a uk driving license is sufficent and true to there word and a million traffic stops along the way, ive only produced passport and uk DL.

i always wai & sawadee the policeman who stops me and 9/10 times i get away without paying nothing, the only times i have payed is when ive been clocked over the speed limit since they introduced the lasers, and usually u can avoid that if oncoming vehicles are flashing main beams wildly, lol.

i drive on average about 150km a day, and i find it enlighting that i can do almost anything i want without the hassle i get in the uk, i do respect the road though as i have seen lots of nasty accidents but thats because the thai driving test can be simply passed with a 500baht note.

i have hit a few dogs in my time and thats always resulted in the front bumper & bodykit being ripped off but a 1000baht later and everythings fixed, even my missus has reversed her crv into a pylon which toally fucked the rear up but a local(decent) garage fixed it for less than 10,000baht, in the uk u would of been looking at 1000pound uk.

my tips for driving in thailand is avoid thanon plonchit near where u can get on the express way as everytime i go near there five-o always see the falang driving a car, pull me over, say i crossed the single white line & charge me 200 baht.

another thing to mention is that people who drive toyota fortuners think they are road gods, they never dim there main beam for oncoming traffic, they park there monster car like an ignorant arsehole and want to tailgate u untill u get out there way.

i hate people who stick to the outside lane and when i have to undertake them, pass them and come back over to the outside lane u find that they too have got full beam on and wont dip them, lol.

farmers are the worse in there super slow pickups, they pull out in front of u as though they never saw you, the driver is usually a 100years old and cant see past his nose and more than usual are drunk....

have fun when u drive, never ever lose ur temper and always expect the worse..

drive safely,, kap rot dee dee na

Archived