Thais learning Dutch

khunsanuk

Hi,

We actually tried the Rosetta stone a month or 2 ago, but my wife doesn't really like using computers. The fact that in the very first lesson she encountered the word 'schrijven' didn't help either :)

Found a small phrase book at B2S this morning. A quick look seems to indicate it is pretty crap ('De man' was written with a Thai pronunciation of 'De men'), but it was only 60 Baht. It will hopefully keep her interest until we can get something decent.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Yes, most people speak decent to good English in Holland, but not the ones that matter most (my parents, several of my aunts/uncles and my sister's English is pretty crap as well).

Besides, if we are ever forced (or decide) to go back to Holland it would be quite convenient if my wife already spoke rudimentary Dutch.

Sanuk!

Hi,

My wife speaks a handful (30-40) words of Dutch, but obviously not nearly enough to have even a simple conversation.

I doubt the Embassy will be of any use. I am quite certain they will refer me to the school that prepares people for the entrance exam.

My experience with the Dutch embassy has never given me the impression that they are particularly helpful :(

Sanuk!

The Dutch Embassy will do exactly as you expect. They're not very helpful indeed and any time I do visit them I make sure that well in advance I communicate with them by email so once I show up I have the right paperwork. The consequent visit is usually swift and painless.

Archived