Fully Patched iPhone hacked... ditto Mac Hacked.

Weird

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read this, but it has nothing to do with real life...

Anyway, meanwhile it is becoming clear that today Macs are less secure, but they are still not being attacked, because compared to Windows PCs Mac's are still in the low numbers.

I have read this' date=' but it has nothing to do with real life...

Anyway, meanwhile it is becoming clear that today Macs are less secure, but they are still not being attacked, because compared to Windows PCs Mac's are still in the low numbers.[/quote']

How is that not real life? It wasn't hypothetical or theoretical hacking, they were actual demonstrations of the devices being hacked. Regardless of whether or not they were mass released yet, doesn't make them any less real. The authors are not even giving up the exploits, making the companies figure them out on their own. So they still exist.

This has been done on Windows (PC's) machines for years so the approach to hacking is not new at all. The fact that the iPhone is less secure than Windows Mobile based devices is also widely known and unlike what this article (link) implies, Apple never sold any product on the promise of superior security. Like Kamui is saying, Mac products are simply a smaller scope for hackers because their market share is comparatively small still. If the market share increase, then the exploits of vulnerabilities and attacks will increase as a consequence.

I agree its disturbing but surely its expected.

Apple itself has never promised superior security. Sure. But people on this board have often implied otherwise especially if somebody gets a virus. The whole, get a mac and you won't have that problem logic.

There has been often people saying that viruses for macs don't exist, or other such nonsense, and the point is to show they do exist.

Even if the market share stays comparatively small there will come a point when, let's say, 5% becomes lucrative even if it isn't a big of a target as 95%.

Even if the market share stays comparatively small there will come a point when, let's say, 5% becomes lucrative even if it isn't a big of a target as 95%.

Malware for Mac: around 100

Malware for Windows: around 850.000

as of 2008

You can infect your PC just by visiting an infected website (especially when you use Internet Explorer), but I have never heard that this happened to a Mac.

Actually the first real threat for Macs happened last year when some hackers put two infected Apple software programs on torrents sites. This threat was only against people in search for illegal downloads...

I have a free anti virus program installed on all Macs at home and in our office, but currently it is not necessary to have it running constantly, while this is absolutely necessary on Windows PCs.

As security experts say: Mac are not very secure, but still much more safe than Windows PCs.

This might change in the future with an increase market share of Mac PCs.

"The fun part is when you get one you probably won't even know you have one ; ) "

If so it says something about the Mac user experience, imagine being infected by a virus and not losing any files, no crashes, no blues screens, everything working...

Unlike a windoze machine that goes belly up and need $$$ spent to resurrect.

:)

Archived