Fully Patched iPhone hacked... ditto Mac Hacked.

Weird

If so it says something about the Mac user experience, imagine being infected by a virus and not losing any files, no crashes, no blues screens, everything working...

Unlike a windoze machine that goes belly up and need $$$ spent to resurrect.

:)

You do know that the best viruses are the ones you don't notice, right?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If so it says something about the Mac user experience' date=' imagine being infected by a virus and not losing any files, no crashes, no blues screens, everything working...

:)[/quote']

And most PC users will never know that they are part of a powerful botnet, which send billions of spam mails, attacks companies and tries even to bring the communication lines of a whole country down (like in Latvia some time ago).

Until now this does not apply to Macs, but the question is for how long?

If so it says something about the Mac user experience' date=' imagine being infected by a virus and not losing any files, no crashes, no blues screens, everything working...

:)[/quote']

I would have thought that if you and your machine have no discernible effects of being infected by a virus, then either the virus is ineffectual (i.e. useless) or there is no virus.

I take your point that a bot net, operating in part from your machine, ideally would be unnoticed, but if one is at all computer literate, then one will notice.

Or perhaps not, I really am unqualified in all of this, never having had the unfortunate occasion to have my computer be infected by a virus, you see.

I would have thought that if you and your machine have no discernible effects of being infected by a virus, then either the virus is ineffectual (i.e. useless) or there is no virus.

Until you realize it stole all your personal/financial information and then hide itself so you would never find out.

I would have thought that if you and your machine have no discernible effects of being infected by a virus' date=' then either the virus is ineffectual (i.e. useless) or there is no virus.

[/quote']

Until you realize it stole all your personal/financial information and then hide itself so you would never find out.

Has this ever happened on a Mac?

Well, "everyone" (Myself included) loves to hate Windows. Oddly though it is a single platform, less variations than linux, and fairly open if your a developer. It's bad, but not evil,

Hackers love to hack Windows and cause drama for it.

They tend to like Linux, and do little

Mac which everyone loves (myself included) is a very closed proprietary system, far from open, more closed than windows, YET, has this feel good image, which I fall for too. Hackers just don't hack mac. That would be like pissing in the font at a church

Nervous god. General fanboi comments. 4% market share but use the words "everyone " to describe their love for apple

Coss. You can stop pretending since you all but proclaimed that you don't have the slightest clue about real hacking. Has it happened? The original link proves its possible and will draw hackers to do it.

Mr Weird,

whether or not I have a clue about anything is not relevant.

The points demonstrated here are that:

1. Whilst it is possible to "Crack" a Mac's security, the pejorative term "Hack" is more correctly applied to finding a work around or altering, a thing, programme, system or other, in order to achieve a positive outcome. There have been various proof of concept demonstrations of Cracks for Mac over the years, the earliest I can remember was in the late eighties.

2. To date no one has managed to demonstrate a significant, actual application of said proof of concept Cracks for Mac. No world wide virus infections, or other massive problems a la' the experiences of the Windows community have happened. Now if this is because coders can't be bothered because of the Mac feel good factor, or they don't have time or they don't have the ability is a moot point. It seems they just don't do it. This is probably because of the small market share, but I would have thought that as most Mac users understand little about what's under the hood that these machines would be easy targets and thereto effective hosts. I guess the advantage of the Mac is like the advantage of the luxury car, better quality and all the proletariat use poorly made pickups.

BTW "fanboi" is spelt "fanboy"

Cheers

Coss

Archived