R.I.P. ST4ME

dddave

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob was from Miami and lived a number of years in the PI before moving to Bangkok where he had a cigar business for years. He started After Dark Magazine and moved to Pattaya a few years ago.

He was a good friend, attended my wedding, and lived life the way he wanted.

I nagged him for years to cut back on his heavy smoking and take care of himself a bit. The last three years he lived with his Thai girlfriend Tum and they had a great relationship.

Bob was sarcastic, cantankerous, and loved to argue, but he was also kind-hearted and I will miss him dearly!

Jewish guy from NYC? Am I thinking of the right guy? If right, I knew him fairly well. :(

That was him; grew up in "'da Bronx".

On a related sad note and something we who have girlfriends should think about: if one dies without making some VERY specific provisions for your girlfriend, she will find herself suddenly without any standing what-so-ever. She will have no access to your bank account and all your documents will be confiscated by the police and your home country's embassy. Everything will become part of your estate to be administered by whoever is your executor. She will have only the money she has at the time of your death and if your residence at the time is a property in your name, she can be forced to leave immediately.

This is partially the case with Bob's wife, according to posts on the Pattaya board, not clear about the eviction part. He had a multitude of friends in Pattaya and they seem to be quickly trying to raise some funds for her.

H.H., Thanks, I haven't been on this board as much as in the past because on my computer, it runs slow as shit on a cold day. A single post can take ten minutes to load what with all the banner ad's wiggling around. I don't have this problem with any of the other forums I monitor.

I couriered some cigars from MNL to BKK for him once.

Bit of a muck up. His delivery guy kept getting knocked back by the Makati Shangi-La hotel staff because nobody there was registered in my name, unbeknown to me. Checked my email to find a couple of 'Where the hell are you?' messages from Bob and got it sorted just before I checked out of the hotel.

Someone picked up the cigars at the front desk of my hotel in Bangkok later.

Next time I saw Bob he made good on his promise to buy me a beer or two for the effort. I remember it because it was an epic day drinking endeavor with Twin and Vox that started at Hillary Bar and never made it beyond Morning2Night (before re-grouping for the night) which is where Bob found us.

Archived