Thai Handwriting...

Pescator

How many of you are able to decipher thai handwriting?

I know that people are different, some have a nice handwriting very similar to printed letters, then again some have a very sloppy one.

But generally I have a hard time figuring out what is actually written.

Doesn`t help much either that there are so many letters, dipthongs, tripthongs(sp) and tonal markers.

I can read my wife`s handwriting just fine. We have a blackboard with a to-do-list and a shopping list.

But I am used to her writing style and besides I am sure that she makes an effort while making entries on the board.

But generally, thai handwriting leaves me in the dark. There are just too many options.

I find the deciphering somewhat similar to the challenges of a cross word puzzle and I don`t enjoy those much.

maybe this explains the frequent mix ups at restaurants with the handwritten orders going from hand to hand ;)

oh did you order french fries I though you ordered pepsi :banghead:

seriously I was taught in school only the 'official' very detailed 'font' in the text book & then of course a bit of blackboard variants as even the most firm teacher is bound to add a bit of her own variants to the mix - which was hard enough...

pondering on it a bit longer though it becomes clear that the 'simple' fonts typically used in news papers etc are so much easier to handle as many resemble/reuse latin letters, but fuck in the end I'm still fucked coz I never managed to memorize them all yet - just the most common/useful ones like my name (which I can spell out a number of ways as I like) LOL :rolleyes:

It's a mess - give me a proper script like Lao anyday - jingjing!

I can read most handwriting, but some Thais' writing looks like it was done by a drunken chicken. :(

Most wholeheartedly agree.

But clearly your reading skills are better then mine.

I guess long time exposure does the trick.

Besides some folks see a challenge, whereas I tend to perceive it as it is: a problem. :)

I don`t like problems.

I usually give up very quickly if I have to read what to me appear to be gibberish.

I prefer children`s handwriting. They make the letters nice and big and very close to the printed ones.

OR just anyone who will do the effort to make letters have just a slight ressemblance of what they are supposed to be :banghead:

Most Thais can write English quite clearly. The reason is their English teachers couldn't speak English and had the kids practice penmanship at least 50% of the time. :banghead:

I could write in Thai fairly well once upon a time. I've got so rusty I can't remember how to spell anything any more. :(

p.s. Notice the Napoleonic grandeur in Thakin's signature. "Surely EVERYONE knows who I am and must bow down accordingly."

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem on legibility with English, Chinese, Japanese, etc.

I can read most written English, but there are times when I cannot!

At the university, learning to read/write Japanese, the printed characters were fine...peoples' handwriting...grrrr, difficult!

Reading Thai, often the printed vs the handwritten is far different, IMO.

Archived