Iceland's volcanic ash halts flights across Europe

Sporty

[color:red]CNN, on TV repeorts, this could worsen and last days or a year, totally unknown.[/color]

Iceland's volcanic ash halts flights across Europe

By ROBERT BARR

Associated Press Writer

updated 6 minutes ago

LONDON - British airport operator BAA Ltd. says all flights at London's Heathrow Airport have been suspended for the rest of the day, causing travel chaos as ash clouds from Iceland's spewing volcano halted air traffic across Europe.

A BAA spokesman said Thursday that no further flights are expected to arrive or land at the airport, which is Europe's busiest.

Heathrow handles over 1,200 flights and 180,000 passengers per day.

[color:red](MORE)[/color]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36540583/ns/business/

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:red]Icelandic volcano eruption intensifies[/color]

(Reuters) - A volcanic eruption in Iceland, which has thrown up a 6-km (3.7 mile) high plume of ash and disrupted air traffic across northern Europe, has grown more intense, an expert said on Thursday.

The eruption under the Eyjafjallajokull glacier continued to spew large amounts of ash and smoke into the air and showed no signs of abating after 40 hours of activity, said Pall Einarsson, a geophysicist at the University of Iceland.

[color:red]"The seismographs are showing that since this morning the intensity of the eruption seems to be growing," he said.[/color]

[color:red](MORE)[/color]

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63E2OU20100415?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&rpc=76

I agree that this belongs in this forum - it must be messing with several board members lives, whether they were looking to travel to the LOS or not. Even if you had simply ordered something from OS and it was now sitting in a freight terminal in Dubai, you would have to be annoyed.

Here in Oz, we live in a cocoon of complacency about things like this, oblivious to the fact that the entire chain of islands from Vanuatu to Aceh is a massive powderkeg with the potential to remove us from the planet.

By today over 16.000 flights have been cancelled. The latest news is (Saturday afternoon) that the planes will be grounded for the next days.

The volcanic ash is spreading to South Europe now and more ash seems to be coming from Iceland.

It looks bad, really bad.

Yes. I, me, yes, ME, am having to deal with customers and deliveries and shit at 0400. This is very bad. My EU employees have been rendered useless.

Who must I call and flaunt something to make it go away? Where is the drunken boat when I need it?

Just call Vulcan central.

Predictably, the media is having a field day with this here in Oz:

- the last time this volcano erupted, it continued to spew ash into the atmosphere for 6 months

- this is the largest grounding of aircraft since WWII. I suspect that there were not too many folk flying between London and Brussels in 1938 - happy to hear otherwise.

- revenue loss estimates vary, but they are currently throwing around something in excess of 200 million USD per day. It doesnt take a supercomputer to work out that the cost over 6 months would be well beyond the capacity of most countries to bail out their national carriers - in the case of BA, would they even last 6 weeks ?

- on a more positive note, people are rediscovering the romance of cross-country travel. Nothing like sitting bolt upright in the last economy seat on a 3-day trip to Turkey to make it to Gallipoli for the dawn service on 25 April to generate a lasting memory or two.

All in all, very happy to be in the southern hemisphere at this point in time, Krakatoa Mk II be damned.

Yes. I, me, yes, ME, am having to deal with customers and deliveries and shit at 0400. This is very bad. My EU employees have been rendered useless.

Who must I call and flaunt something to make it go away? Where is the drunken boat when I need it?

Go to your local Wat and make an offering. :angel:

Archived