Iceland's volcanic ash halts flights across Europe

Sporty

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think many people are getting pissed off with this now and I have heard some people saying its a vast over reaction from the health and safety obsessed authorities? Apparently if you flew through the plume near the volcano it would certainly screw up your planes engines. But this far from the eruption it is not actually much of a threat as it has thinned out so much? KLM have put a test flight up that went through the cloud up and down with no problems at all.

Simie.

Some Finnish F-18 jets got engine damage from the ash. They were doing training BEFORE the airspace was closed. The engines will have to be repaired/replaced.

The KLM flight profile was bogus! They went directly to 41000 ft, cruised around, and then went directly down to landing. It was not the slowly working your way into the landing sequence.

<>

i'll buy anyone a pint who can say this correctly.....and a few more if they can drunk!!....looks like someones cat walked on the keyboard and they decided thats what the volcanos name would be!

Thats how my speech usually comes out when I am drunk :drunk:

The other proposal being bandied about is that flights move from a cruising altitude of 30,000 feet down to a mere 3000 feet : I'm all for getting the planes back in the air, but wont that be freaking loud for anyone with several kilometres of a jet doing 900km/h at 3000 feet above the ground ? Not to mention the reduced margin for error in the event of any form of malfunction - 'The plane dropped several thousand feet after striking turbulence' would no longer be a page five news item.

I definitely have to move to Malaysia to insulate myself from this sort of madness. Bring on Thursday nights Powerball draw :smirk:

Some travelers took drastic measures to return home. John Cleese, the British comic actor who was part of the Monty Python troupe, found himself stranded in Oslo. He hired a Mercedes taxi to drive more than 900 miles from Oslo to Brussels, where he hoped to get a train to London, said one of his agents, Dean Whitbread. Three drivers took turns at the wheel and the fare came to about $5,000, he said.

Link

I think many people are getting pissed off with this now and I have heard some people saying its a vast over reaction from the health and safety obsessed authorities? Apparently if you flew through the plume near the volcano it would certainly screw up your planes engines. But this far from the eruption it is not actually much of a threat as it has thinned out so much? KLM have put a test flight up that went through the cloud up and down with no problems at all.

Simie.

Some Finnish F-18 jets got engine damage from the ash. They were doing training BEFORE the airspace was closed. The engines will have to be repaired/replaced.

The KLM flight profile was bogus! They went directly to 41000 ft' date=' cruised around, and then went directly down to landing. It was not the slowly working your way into the landing sequence.[/quote']

On 24 June 1982, the route (BA9) was flown by the City of Edinburgh, a 747-236B. The aircraft flew into a cloud of volcanic ash thrown up by the eruption of Mount Galunggung (circa 180 kilometres (110 mi) south-east of Jakarta, Indonesia), resulting in the failure of all four engines. The reason for the failure was not immediately apparent to the crew or ground control. The aircraft was diverted to Jakarta in the hope that enough engines could be restarted to allow it to land there. The aircraft was able to glide far enough to exit the ash cloud, and all engines were restarted (although one failed again soon after), allowing the aircraft to land safely.

Wiki

On 24 June 1982' date=' the route (BA9) was flown by the City of Edinburgh, a 747-236B.[/quote']

"The route was flown by the City of Edinburgh"? Thought my English was pretty good but no idea what the feck that means?! :confused::dunno:

Name of the Plane.

Archived