Vietnam - Hanoi to Saigon by Train

gawguy

I've heard this is a nice trip. I want to get off and on here and there. Any recommendations for doing this?

Where is best place to start? Would fly from BKK. Allowing about 3 weeks?

And hey!? Why isn't there a subforum or any posts about Vietnam here??

Gaw Guy

I looked into this a few years ago. The straight trip is something like 30+ hours-48 hrs Depending on day and route. no idea on the class of the trains. Yes, it is supposedly a beautiful ride. There may have been some info on this on www.talesofasia.com awhile ago.

very pretty between danag and hue. ok everywhere else.

best indeed to get off here and there -- try to get off the beaten backpacker trail (nha trang, hoi an, hue). take as much time as you can, vn's very nice.

overninght take soft sleeper, else doesn't matter much. very cheap apart from soft sleeper class.

don't forget areas away from the hanoi-saigon line: central highlands, mekong delta and northern mountains are very excellent too.

enjoy.

I looked into this quite a few years ago and seem to recall that you couldn't buy a ticket for the whole journey and then jump on and off the train as you pleased. So in effect you had to buy a ticket to your first destination and then while you were there buy a ticket for the next destination and so on and so on. But maybe that has changed now. :dunno:

Archived