Best and worst golf courses you've played

SpiceMan

I have played many fine golf courses and some terrible ones. The worst golf course I have played anywhere in the world was Holywell in North Wales. This course is situated on a a disused quarry and there are pits 20 meters deep in some of the fairways. It is also on common land and the locals graze sheep there. There are piles of sheep pooh all over the course and if your ball lands in it, it will really mess up the aerodynamics of your next shot. Some of the fairways are so bad that a club rule requires you to tee your ball up for every shot until you are on the green.

Not sure what the best course I played was. I liked Shannon on Grand Bahama - a very pretty course, though it may have gone down recently. I played 4 courses in Spain and found them to be well maintained, although the scenery was a bit too arid to be pretty. I was impressed by all the courses I played in Thailand. Favourites are Royal Hua Hin and Phoenix in Pattaya. I liked the latter because it forgave my inaccurate shots!

What are the best and worst courses you have played?

The best is hard to define, as it could mean, toughest, best kept, most prestigious, most scenic or most enjoyable experience (which your score could have something to do with).

Most of my golf has been limited to California, Hawaii, Mexico, Ireland, Scotland, Philippines and Indonesia (none in Thailand).

I'd have to say my favorite was Muirfield (because I felt fortunate to even be on the course), followed by Portmarnock (links courses are a novelty for me) and Los Angeles C.C. North (because I like the layout and upkeep). If there's one I'd want to play every day, it would be LACC.

For scenery, tough choice between a couple of courses in Tagaytay, PI, Bali Handara, and Kapalua, Maui. I have never played Pebble Beach!

Worst course is an even tougher call, because we generally try to avoid them. As far as regulation 18 hole courses courses go, there were two in LA (one private, one public) that were built on landfills and had blue liquid gurgling up from craters in the fairways. Took a few years to sort those problems out, but they did. Those courses are called Mountaingate and Victoria, respectively.

• 5 months later...

The worst condition course I have played is Unico (next to Khrungthep Kretha golf course, near Srinakarin). However it's also the course at which I've had most fun. :content:

I played there last December for the first time in years and they'd spent a bit of money improving the fairways/greens and the clubhouse facilities, which were previously very basic. Of course the green fees had also increased substantially. :sad:

Cherry Hills, local course south of Chicago.

Hard as rock, dried up greens and fairways.

Cog Hill.

West of Chicago.

Great fairways and greens.

One 18 hole course loaded with sand traps.

Another course there, long!

They often play world class tournaments there.

This was in a world far, far away, a long time ago...

I played a course in Hawaii called Koolau which is over 7300 yards from tip to tip and has a slope rating of 152 which they advertised as the most difficult course in the nation. My first visit there, I lost 9 golf balls. I was about a 12 handicap at the time. So not a bad golfer. I got a membership there later just cause I wanted to teach it a lesson. Well.........I always lost less than 9 balls and my goal each time out was to lose 0. It happened many times but a VERY difficult course. Long long carries over deep ravines. It's built in the mountain. Very beautiful course as most are in Hawaii.

Best:

Sleepy Hollow north of NYC. Like playing golf in church ... most immaculate course I have ever seen.

Worst:

Links at Spanish Bay, Monterey Peninsula. Normally a great course, but the day I played it was in horrid shape. Almost unplayable with flooded greens, blown out sand traps, and fairways were largely dirt. Should not have even been open that day.

Archived