Saigon - Hotel Recommendation Please

gawguy

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I now only stay in the Sheraton in one of their club rooms. (Not my nickel.) I've tried Caravelle once but the Sheraton is much better.

Don't know about the more reasonably priced places.

You'll like HCMC. Much smaller than BKK. More trees. Nice architecture. I've never worried about security there and usually take walks at night but maybe I'm just naiive.

• 4 weeks later...

Last time in HCMC I checked out Caravelle, it looked nice enough in the lobby area and the roof bar was pretty busy, didn't see the rooms though. Is the Sheraton significantly better? Any other options at that price?

Sheraton is much nicer than the Caravelle (which is overrated in my opinion). Renaissance is in between. All the above though are overpriced (you pay for location - for a relatively poor country property values are sky high). For some 'old world' flavor the Majestic is good.

If you don't mind being a 5 - 10 minute cheap taxi ride from the central area, New World is an excellent choice. Aside from the location (nothing within walking distance of note other then a park across the street), it is better than the Renaissance or Caravelle, and much less expensive.

I find the hotel Continental of Graham Greene fame to be good value. Not the cheapest hotel, but classy old-style hotel. Located in Dong Khoi St., which is fairly close for markets, Apocalypse Now, and a few bars with dark windows, behind which lie ladies, who will take you on separate motorcycles to hotels for nocturnal activities, which your own hotel may not allow. These bars are straight ahead on right hand side of road, perhaps 5 minutes walk from the hotel. From memory, breakfast finishes fairly early 09.00/09.30hrs., but it has a very nice massage parlour, not run by the hotel, with enthusiastic masseuses, which are often difficult to find in Saigon. You don't have to stay there to enjoy a massage.

I stayed at a very new smaller hotel a few blocks from City Hall. US $18.00 includes breakfast. This hotel was on a street with many smaller hotels - all near same price - and very safe. Front staff spoke excellent English. Very clean room. Nice staff. I will try to look up name in my records. I spent 4 night there and then went to the REX Hotel. The REX is usually out of my budget but I wanted to stay there once in my lifetime. Well worth it.

The REX Hotel ran around US $80.00 per night. Obvouly this hotel is larger and had more amenities. Right next to a park and City Hall. Right downtown. Roof top bar. Buffet Breakfast.

Maritott and Hilton very modern hotels in view.

The REX still has class and centrally located.

REX

My only issue was the taxi from airport. They do cue up. But the touts attempt to grab you. And I had figured out ahead of time what the fare was supposed to be and the taxi driver demanded 10 times the amount. Finally, I gave him what I thought was correct and asked him to follow me into the hotel so that they could translate what he was screaing at me. He took the money and left.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes, they were just constructing the new wing while I was there. Yes, older hotel. But nice I thought.

The first hotel I stayed at was one of the Lan Lan hotels (there are two). And I paid US $18.00 but it appears that there has been some inflation or currency manipulations. Current prices seem a tad higher but all depends on how you book.

I was a WALK IN.

LINK

There were about half dozen smaller hotels on Thu Khoa Huan street all within walking distance to City Hall and surrounding central areas.

Lan Lan 2 Hotel

46 THU KHOA HUAN, DISTRICT 1 Ho Chi Minh City

33 $

Archived