Seoul?

LizardKing

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stayed at the Shilla too some years back. Yes very nice hotel but boring, IMHO. Hey it's Korea!

I did forget to mention that the basement of the Hyatt has a nightclub/pub. Live music, Philippino band (aren't they all!) Often gets quite packed especially weekends. I just read that it's a JJ Mahoney's which I think is some sort of franchise chain or whatever which explains it's cookie cutter appearance.

Compared to Tokyo, dunno, but from what I have seen of Tokyo, admittedly very little I certainly never saw the bits like I have seen in Bangkok, KL, Jakarta, Manila, and the same goes for Seoul from my perspective.

Now KoreansJapanese strange/boring, that's a whole different thing but yes I have an opinion and for the most part I have found them to be strange. As for boring, don't know, not spent enough time in the comapny of either to really guage that, primarily I guess because they have always seemed so strange.

• 3 weeks later...

When are you traveling to Seoul? It really isn't as "gray and boring" as some of the posters mention, IMHO; of course isn't LOS either.

There is a bit of a Thai community here, mostly in Itaewon. And alot good places to drink in Itaewon or across the river in Gangnam. plenty of Thai restaurants too.

Korean Immigration could (but not always) be an issue, my sister-in-law got held up for 2 hours, I made two phone calls to immigration before they released her.

Been & back mate. We had a ball just going with the flow so to speak. We made some newbie mistakes like ordering waaayyy too much food one time (that cost us KRW90k!), but so what.

1p1040372.jpg

We never did find any Thai restaurants but that didn't matter anyway as the Korean food was great and (usually) cheap, averaging ~KRW22,000/meal.

1p1040259.jpg

We did shopping, some sightseeing and ate. Fish Market was fun.

1p1040386.jpg

Korean grannies are so cute. They treated Mrs LK like their own daughter, making sure whatever she bought was just right.

1p1040278.jpg

And the Grand Hyatt was awesome. The only bummer was that we missed the cherry blossoms by a couple of weeks. Oh well.

We will definitely be back.

Archived