Seoul?

LizardKing

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, couple of times. Stayed at the Hyatt on the hill and at the Intercon, other side of the river. Not really ones for doing a great deal and don't particularly enjoy Korea, go there for work. Spent most of my off work time testing the hotel bed, sofa, shower, mini bar fridge, work desk, etc!

If you are taking a TG be a little careful, especially if she is not particularly well travelled. Whilst ROK has a visa free agreement with Thailand they know full well that a lot of TG's go there looking for 'business'. They are also very well aware of them 'piggybacking' with farangs to gain entry. This from direct experience and discussion with an ROK immigration official.

On our first visit a while back my girl had only a China visa and a Malaysia stamp in her passport. Immigration (female) was sceptical and made us go for further checks. They have native Thai speakers in ROK immigration at Incheon, not sure about Busan etc. Luckily we had our story straight and were in any case on the level so the 'gotcha' questions were a non issue.

Ask if you need any further info.

Cheers.

Dam it's a 'orrible city. Take the Thai girl to Beijing instead, Korea is 'orrible.

BUT

It has a great underground network.

Hotels can be interesting, I stayed at a hotel high on a hill over the city, with small old style streets full of old style restaurants, that waas good for about 4 hours, after that I hated the place, everything is GREY, sometimes GRAY, but never colourful :(

Absolutely, couldn't put it better myself.

That hotel on the hill sounds very much like the Hyatt, Had a walk around the streets in that area but yes very GR(E/A)Y, seems to somehow sum up Korean personality I think. Not so sure I think of Beijing a whole lot better though.

People moan about Sin-galore and KL but I think they are much more vibrant places with always something to do and much more accessible nightlife in various forms. Good shopping, places to visit, zoo's parks etc.

Well the op is interested in Seoul and maybe has a valid reason but certainly if it is as a holiday destination I'd be looking for something else.

No choice, I need to go on business, and my girl is well enough traveled, so not an issue. But thanks for the tips.

Any more ideas on stuff to do, moderate priced shopping/night market areas, Thai food outlets, etc? I have not been there for many, many years.

Well it's all good and time anywhere with a special TG is always good. Certainly the Hyatt and Intercon hotels were nice. If the company is paying and you can get them to pay for a exec floor room then both have good cocktail hours.

I recall years back a hotel across from Seoul city hall. Not sure what it was called but underneath there was a large shopping mall area with a good many bars and restaurants.

If you stay in either of the mentioned hotels, and of course just about any decent place then the staff should be able to point you to such necessities as Thai restaurants. My TG is quite devout and always enjoys temple visits in any place we go, not sure what you might find in Seoul as that is one place we have yet to do that particular gig.

Enjoy, keep it as short as you can and get back to more enjoyable climes.

As mentioned, the Grand Hyatt is a good place to take a girl, especially if you're going to be leaving her alone at times. There's a nice pool area and spa (for a nominal fee). You can walk down the hill to Itaewon for touristy shopping and restaurants. Don't think you'd want to walk back up the hill, but I seem to recall the hotel providing a shuttle service. That's about all I've got; I've only been there on business a few times (years ago) and didn't get out much on my own.

Archived