why is the thai baht still strong

A_J

Hey cool I was being insulted - didn't even realise.

Thanks guys!

HEY SOMEONE CALLED ME A ARSEHOLE!!!!

That's it, agree with TH and look what happens - never agreeing with TH again.

I think I need to get a beer, posting sober isn't working for me.

Mekong, wanna go to Madrid for a beer, maybe Troy and SD can meet us there?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

man, this thread was so exciting before it degenerated away from the OP and into political analysis of the current red v yellow crisis.

I can only guess, but odds are pretty good that the Thai central bank has just taken less inflationary measures than the big central banks of the EU, US, etc. the baht has clearly lost value, just not at the rate that the rest of the world's currency has lost value (when considering the purchasing power of capital goods)

we know that the US, UK, and EU have resorted to giant inflationary measures as their attempt to keep credit moving and the production/consumption cycles going. with what i know about the true levels of inflation of the U.S. dollar vs it's value compared to THB, i'd guess that Thailand just hasn't been as inflationary as other countries who tend to follow patterns and policy set by the BOE and the U.S. Fed.

Back to the thread subject.

TH

Thai stock market jumps 5.43 percent

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thai stocks soared 5.43 percent Tuesday after anti-government protesters cancelled a planned march on Bangkok's financial district, but analysts warned the rebound could be short-lived.

The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) composite index jumped 39.47 points to close at 765.76 as foreign investors returned to the market, which has been roiled by weeks of confrontation between authorities and protesters.

Pichai Lertsupongkit, an analyst at Thanachart Securities, said he was surprised by the size of the rebound.

"Positive sentiment was boosted by the government still not using force to disperse the protesters, as well as the protesters deciding to call off the march to the financial district," he said.

The red-shirted demonstrators, mostly loyal to ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, have mounted four weeks of street rallies but were thwarted in a plan to march on the Silom financial hub after a heavy troop deployment.

But Pichai warned the gain could be temporary as Thailand's political crisis remains far from resolution, with the government resisting calls for fresh elections.

"The political factor is still very fluid and there are still chances of clashes," he said. "So today's rebound could be short lived."

Pichai said the petrochemical sector led the rally with a 9.9 percent gain.

Among bluechip stocks coal producer Banpu soared 34.00 baht to 624.00 baht, PTT Plc gained 15.00 baht at 260.00 baht, and Siam Cement rose 21.00 baht to finish at 258.00 baht.

I recall reading here, and hearing on the news here (here being the USA) that the Thai stock market had dropped due to the political problems. So as things cool down, if they cool down, and it returns to what it was, or slightly less even, is that really considered economic growth?

Take the USA stock market, it fell drastically at one point, and is now back about where it was a few years back...so did it grow, and gain, or just fought it's way back to where it was years ago, meaning we are still way behind? I have no clue on this stuff...

I was told that Thai economic growth was slower than other SEA countries. I have seen no proof of this either way. The current claims of growth would be meaningless if they are not on a par, or better, than countries like Indonesia.

I was told that Thai economic growth was slower than other SEA countries. I have seen no proof of this either way. The current claims of growth would be meaningless if they are not on a par, or better, than countries like Indonesia.

The World Bank in early April released the following forecasts:

Malaysia 4.1%

Thailand 3.5%

Indonesia 5.4%

Philippines3.1%

It does indeed show that Thailand is not expected grow as much as some other SEA countries. Nevertheless, a 3.5% growth would greatly benefit the country and this is why the demonstrations are going on now with the insistence that elections be held immediately.

The last thing the redshirts want is a nice stable year, with good economic expansion, introduction of sensible programs such as the farmer’s debt relief, the unused land tax, free education through high school, and making universal health care a viable program. Whether or not this is due the Democrats great leadership or just luck and timing doesn’t matter, as we all know, whoever is in charge when things are going good gets to take credit for it.

TH

In the USA "they" will say the stock is 10%, from last year (which was down 20%) so in the end they recover *** some *** of the loss.

Remember when the Dow was near 20,000...hasn't even had a sniff of that in many years!, so, OH, they are not really growing, just trying to recover to where they had been, as least in USA talk.

Archived