why is the thai baht still strong

A_J

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK I don't get this...almost all currencies are down, world wide economic slump etc...the THB gets stronger...they are supposedly losing manufacturing jobs to Vietnam etc due to cheaper labor...tourism is supposedly been down...the country has all sorts of political problems/violence and could get worse or stay bad for awhile...yet the THB stays up...sorry I don't get it...not talking just the USD HERE, BUT THE EURO, AUD, POUND ETC...

OK I don't get this...almost all currencies are down, world wide economic slump etc...the THB gets stronger...they are supposedly losing manufacturing jobs to Vietnam etc due to cheaper labor...tourism is supposedly been down...the country has all sorts of political problems/violence and could get worse or stay bad for awhile...yet the THB stays up...sorry I don't get it...not talking just the USD HERE, BUT THE EURO, AUD, POUND ETC...

As you suspect, the Thai Central Bank, has prevented the baht from freely floating, as other currencies you mentioned.

For some time, they have used an unrealistic formula to fix the currency, heavily weighted to the Yen and USD. Making the baht, a Reserve Currency.

With that not enough of an advantage, they announced, they were further making changes,to prevent speculators, from taking advantage based on a influx of investor money to the SET.

All in all, not a fair exchange rate to floating currencies.

Imagine how much money would be in the Thai treasury if they were able to effectively tax that monster cash economy. I guess thats the job of the Royal Thai Police, and it makes sense to underpay your police force when they can go out and raise their own revenue from the common man. Genius.

Actually the Thai economy is well on its way to making a very good recovery. Unemployment is almost zero, with manufacturing and construction desperate for both skilled and semi skilled labor. Exports are up almost to pre-2008 levels, domestic consumption is moving upwards nicely. Prior to this month, tourism was well on its way to recovering. Foreign investors are net buyers into the SET to the tune of some billion USD just this year (even after the past weeks drop). Thailand is sitting on some 141 billion dollars of foreign currency reserves. It has a current account balance of some 20 billion USD as of Feb 2010.

All of this leads to a demand for Thai Baht which is what is driving the baht stronger. The BOT is not artificially keeping it strong, what is trying to do is keep it stable and admits to intervening to make more baht available in order to keep in from getting too strong.

Any of these so-called serfs that can show some initiative and get a skill can make a pretty good living with a future. My wife’s nephew graduated from an upcountry technical collage last year. He is now working in Rayong making 20k a month as a computer technician. Her cousin has been working there for over 10 years now. He has a house, a car, and all the other trappings of a middle class life. I just don’t believe this class war stuff, it is all populist propaganda. The opportunities are there, but you have to work for them. Which I guess is the problem, seems people just want the handouts.

TH

Archived