Patpong Closed by The Red Shirts

Stickman

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Pic's Stick thanks for putting the effort in.

The image that brings it home to me is not one of your photo's (no offence Stick) but on this mornings TV news where the red barricade is at the South end of Rathadamri and across Rama IV the other side of Thai-Belgium Bridge at the North end of Silom were the troops, the area is currently being used as a backdrop on BBC World News. My Sister called me less than an hour ago when she saw Dusit Thani Hotel in the background and said "Hotel you got married at is in the middle of a war zone"

Up until last Month before we moved, the wife and I lived very close to the area and most nights were out and about for dinner / drink in Silom, I am happy to be away from it.

PS Is the Photo BangkokRedShirtsSilom5.jpg taken outside Madrid?

Bollox.

Cant be used in Next Sundays "Where is this Taken" Comp then :neener:

Stick I know that chair / table well, sat at the same location on numerous occasions with friends and relatives watching the Pong Night Market being erected, I actually have a time lapse photo shoot of it at 1 fp 10 Seconds which I recorded over a few cold tigers and a delicious thin crust pizza.

Makes it a lot easier to imagine Nana' date=' Soi Cowboy and Lower Sukhumvit in general receiving the same treatment.

And a step further, also easy seeing these pics to imagine our playgrounds as part of history.

I once lived in the middle of West Berlin right near a wall. Things do change. Sometimes a lot. [/quote']

Cant see it happening, despite consistent predictions from various folk on this board over the years. I think NP has been living on borrowed time for several years, but there is still no sign of the wrecking ball. I'd like to see the Rajah Mansion further down Soi 4 converted to bars

- much larger site than NP and it would allow someone to redevelop the old firetrap. SC isnt a whole lot better, but at least its open at both ends at you might get out alive in the event of a fire.

I just walked into my room from Suk. I'm at the corner of Suk/Soi 18. Lot of police gathered now around Soi 22 amidst warning of redshirts coming. I only saw a few though.

Handful of people were checking out as I just walked in, they were apprehensive.

Couple nights ago I was sitting in 'Big Dogs' and two red-shirt guys walked in to Nana and sat just under my stoop bearing the full regalia (red shirt, small flage, cowboy hat with sash). Interesting. Got mixed reaction from the girls, but people took notice, I could sense they generate some excitement, and that alone gives them a certain power. Some of the guys below selling food tied on red headbands when these two popped by.

As for the predictions of this blowing up into large scale violence and civil war (along the lines of the Iraq, Bosnia, half of Africa, etc.) - - I'm a bit skeptical due to what little exposure to the Thais I've had and a couple friends (Thai, with relatives back in LA) here.

Though I think most here are more experienced and better informed than I, still pretty convinced that this episode is an expression of the discord that's always existed and not the precursor of some violence and civil war that will ravage the land. Definitely skeptical about that. If they had bookies here that would give me action -- would lay money on it without hesitation.

It's always easy to predict doom and destruction, the only times people remember are when those come true. Unfortunately sometimes they do. But -- I don't see that kind of violence here. Not yet. Definite volatility, but it's got many ways to express itself.

Then again, fuck if I know.

Been a damn good trip so far. Glad I didn't cancel. Maybe a report later in separate thread when appropriate.

A multi-coloured group, eh ? I guess it would have been too simple to refer to them simply as 'concerned citizens' or even vigilantes, they have to have a colour (or coats of many colours, in this case). Surely this raises the stakes for non-combatants being caught in the crossfire ? Many of the folk in Stick's photos appear to be going about their daily business - or trying to - I'd imagine that gets harder once anyone without a red shirt becomes part of the 'opposition'.

Archived