Uncle Sam needs you to join the army

waerth

I dont doubt it! I love the new m4s. you do have to clean it but I can drop you at 600 meters with out a scope all day long with it. AQI would come out to play and I have video I took of one idiot shooting at us out in the street from about 400m.

You can see the bullets hitting the ground in front of us cause the weapon just would not reach out much past that distance, and by then you could almost catch the round like a cricket ball!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My brother who now lives in Buriram used to do a lot of very long range rifle shooting at Bisley when he still lived in the UK. Of course the targets there did'nt used to shoot back!

I was more of a pistol man untill of course Tony Blair banned private handgun ownership in the UK in 1997 and I had to sell mine to the government. But I did do a bit of rifle shooting for a bit of fun one of my favourites was the Lee Enfield SMLE .303 fantastic old rifle. My father carried one into action in France in 1940 and of course they used to be very common still in Afghan hands untill relatively recently when the AKs took over but I'm sure there are a lot of old SMLEs still knocking about in that region?

Simie.

<< You can see the bullets hitting the ground in front of us cause the weapon just would not reach out much past that distance, and by then you could almost catch the round like a cricket ball!! >>

During my first week in country, my squad got sniped at by a VC with an M1 carbine. The bullets mostly just whizzed past us, but one GI got hit in the leg. The bullet hardly even buried itself in his flesh, it was so spent. The M1 carbine was intended to replace the .45 automatic back in WWII. It didn't.

We had the Vietnam-era L1A1 'SLR' when I served, but they moved to the Steyr Aug shortly after. I think most modern armies went for the shorter, 'bullpup' assault rifles with 5.56 rounds designed to inflict the kind of wounds that would take two stretcher bearers off the battlefield with the wounded man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_FAL

I only used the M-16 a couple of times at the range, but I cant say I was a fan of a plastic stock around a red-hot barrel. They did look and sound very intimidating in the movie 'Heat', but I seem to recall that the bank robbers were wearing gloves.

Uncle Sam needs you to join the army

I can re-up but I want to know how the Army will handle all the wheelchairs, canes, walkers that all us old farts will require :dunno:

Not a fan of the 5.56. Me thinks the 7.62...

During the Vietnam War, the 7.62 mm caliber M134 Minigun was created as a helicopter weapon. Able to fire 6,000 rounds per minute from a 4,000-round linked belt, the Minigun proved to be one of the most effective non-explosive projectile weapons ever built and is still used in helicopters today. They are also used on USAF AC-47, AC-119 and Lockheed AC-130 gunships, their original high-capacity cargo airframes able to house the items needed for sustained operation. With sophisticated navigation and target identification tools, Miniguns can be used effectively even against concealed targets. The crew's ability to concentrate the Gatling's fire very tightly produces the appearance of the 'Red Tornado'[8] from the light of the tracers, as the gun platform circles a target at night.

Gobble - I too trained on the SLR, you could use a matchstick to convert it too full automatic fire, but anything over three bursts a minute and the barrel also got very hot

I remember being told , 123 123 123 123

Great weapon, better than the m16's I think,

My cousin had a M1 carbine, if that's correct, on his farm, a full round in a few seconds aimed at a tree 20 metres away, the tree escaped injury

Flash, I used to have a 1911A1, again many years ago. It was actually a wartime model made by Remington if I remember correctly rather than Colt in 1943. But it was never issued so was effectively new and with a new barrel when I bought it. Eventually sold it to my brother and bought a Ruger GP100 .357 which was probably my favourite of all the guns I ever owned?

Simie.

Archived