Did a bomb just go off on Silom??

TheCorinthian

Thai 360 - board forensic expert buffalo_bill says : it is easy to identify if a grenade that hit a soft target like the aluminum roof of the skytrain station hit at an almost 50 degree angle like from a high building or landed after completing a ballistic curve . the problem here seems to be that like before nobody really seems to be interested to find out because the result might damage the reputation of the loved ones .

From my distant point of view the current lethargy of the government seriously damages the autority of the state and people will start begging for a strong person to rule the country . People might start thinking about Taksin even if they don't like him . Just my 2 Deutschmarks .

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This guy did say he saw them come from the park, close to the statue. Can't ask him now 'cause we closed the office, as many offices did.

Note that the recent statements from the US and the UN imply that they (UN and US) unequivocally believe that the UDD did it.

US State Department spokesman PJ Crowley condemned the violence and called on leaders of the United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) to "do the same. We also call on Thai security forces to show restraint going forward,"

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon issued a statement asking the anti-government protesters to refrain from violence.

First, my belief is that the reds did this, so no disagreement there.

If you look at the map of where the blasts hit, if it was shot from Lumpini Park, the trajectory would take it up over the tops of buildings (many of them highrises) and then back down, one long city block away (that for just the closest one, others further), and all 5 happening to fall into a straight line there on Silom Rd. I think that where they hit is outside the range of a grenade launcher in the park. And it seems like it would have to be 5 straight bullseye shots.

Anyway, we'll probably end up filing this one as We'll Never Really Know.

The M-79 as a range of over 300 meters. The shell is lobbed into the air, somewhat like a mortar round. Looking at where the rounds landed along Silom, everyone of them would be an easy shot from the statue in Lumpini park or from the hospital. both locations are behind the redshirt barricades.

Though not an expert, have fired M-79 with both HE and Tear Gas rounds more then once.

TH

Actually, no. The trajectory from the area of the Rama VI statue to the BTS station is very clear and straight, just pop it over the Rama IV bridge. Easy peasy to hit at ~350 meters.

I'm not sure if that outlier mark in the Post illustration is accurate, because I've not read anywhere about a hit on Thaniya for instance, nor past the BTS station as shown on another map I saw somewhere.

BTS' security cameras confirm M79 grenades fired from Lumpini Park: deputy BKK governor

Deputy Bangkok Governor Thirachon Manomaipibul said video records from security cameras of the BTS' Saladaeng station showed that m79 grenades were fired from the Lumpini Park Thursday night.

Thirachon said the security cameras of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration were crippled by red-shirt protesters who put black plastic bags over the camera or turned the cameras into the sky.

Thirachon said the BMA sought cooperation from the BTS to check feeds of its security cameras and saw that the grenades were fired from the direction of the Lumpini Park into the crowds on Silom Road.

Link

I recall at least one Thai 360 poster saying that when they he was in the armed forces, he used these grenade launchers and they were highly accurate, within a few meters from several hundred meters away. The BTS station is much larger than a few meters in width/length, so I do not doubt the possibility of hitting it from within the red camp.

But the grenades hit on top of the roof of the station! From the ground that is not a straight shot. You would have to shoot it in a high arc, lob, and there goes your accuracy.

Archived