How long until it hits the farang end of town?

Old Hippie

The flip side of course is -- what about all the people that alter their travel plans or perhaps never see LOS at all due to fear of violence.

Is there *really* that great a threat? How many foreigners have been hurt by the protesters in total?

Tourist want to see "Amazing Thailand" not whole areas like a major shopping districts (even hotels) or Patpong closed down and sealed by soldiers carrying heavy weapons and by demonstrators who are building fortresses and wearing weapons as well.

Tourists don't want to see Thai reality and the tourism industry did extremely well to produced an image of a country living in harmony = Land of Smiles.

Why would anybody want visit BKK now? Why *should* anybody visit BKK now? To experience a country descending into a civil war?

So far I haven't seen one commenter who rules out that much more worse can happen at any moment and without warning.

If asked' date=' I would recommend to friends and family to avoid BKK at all cost - especially to those who are not well-traveled - since now you can get killed by leaving the Sky train at the wrong station...

LOS is a no go especially for elders or families with kids.

I would even be careful to recommend other countries in SE-Asia, because they would be stuck there in case Swampy airport would be closed again.

[/quote']

Kamui -- I like you man, but half the time I have no idea where the f*%& you're coming from.

Some of y'all have a very liberal definition of civil war.

If someone's motivation was solely to stay in posh hotels and go to Western shopping malls, well...uhhh.... yeah.

Families with kids, let them go to Disneyland in Southern CA where they have the illusion of safety but are much more likely to encounter violence than in Thailand.

My point remains (and you didn't address it btw, I thought Cent's post was pretty damn good, but you got to work out the issue a little sir), how many foreigners have been hurt? What kind of numbers are we talking, and what percentage of the foreigners in the city does it represent? What is the real risk? Not drama on TV or news forums, what are the numbers?

Also, I really don't care that much about tourist revenue for LOS. I could pretend like I did, but I don't. I just wanted to explain my perspective which is this -- yes, there's an element of risk greater than two months ago, but it's not Civil War or some deluge of violence against foreigners. Could it transform? Yeah sure. I don't think it will, but it could.

I'm going to stay. And come back.

And I pray to God that those fuckers with their obnoxious little kids in tow go elsewhere. That could be the silver lining in all this.

:up:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
'elf & safety

They are well paid and it goes with their job. You don't see many troops or police even wearing body armour. I figure it gives the reporters a kick to pretend they are somewhere at a battle front. Sort of like the journos we used to see helicopter in to our fire base in RVN, snap a few photos, ask us for a quote or two... and then fly right out. Oh, yeah ... they always wore tailor made camouflage fatigues. We'd love to have had clothes like that. ;)

And what kind of a prat "journalist" dresses like that in Bangkok, the effing wanker. Was he wearing his parachute too? :p

Same type of person who wears a football jersey to a bar to sit on his ass drinking beer while watching an NFL game? :hmmm:

Seriously, media correspondents don't bother me anymore. My expectations are so low that I'm over it.

Joking Aside

I read on another site that one of the red leaders was quoted as saying if their movement is forcefully removed from the rally point they will remove their red garb and start fighting a “guerilla type†war against the government.

As tragic as this entire episode has been, to me this is the most disturbing threat so far.

Having seen these types of actions in Iraq i.e. guerilla fighters blending in with local populations and causing chaos I can tell you this could be a worst case scenario!

I hope it does not play out that way.

S1

Stickman-

I made my prediction and kind of bet a beer with Nervous God a few hours ago in another thread.

Star of Love is closed, according to some accounts, and something must be done!!

11:03pm in BKK right now with a high intoxication level behind the barricades...

The flip side of course is -- what about all the people that alter their travel plans or perhaps never see LOS at all due to fear of violence.

Is there *really* that great a threat? How many foreigners have been hurt by the protesters in total?

Tourist want to see "Amazing Thailand" not whole areas like a major shopping districts (even hotels) or Patpong closed down and sealed by soldiers carrying heavy weapons and by demonstrators who are building fortresses and wearing weapons as well.

Tourists don't want to see Thai reality and the tourism industry did extremely well to produced an image of a country living in harmony = Land of Smiles.

Why would anybody want visit BKK now? Why *should* anybody visit BKK now? To experience a country descending into a civil war?

So far I haven't seen one commenter who rules out that much more worse can happen at any moment and without warning.

If asked' date=' I would recommend to friends and family to avoid BKK at all cost - especially to those who are not well-traveled - since now you can get killed by leaving the Sky train at the wrong station...

LOS is a no go especially for elders or families with kids.

I would even be careful to recommend other countries in SE-Asia, because they would be stuck there in case Swampy airport would be closed again.

[/quote']

Kamui -- I like you man, but half the time I have no idea where the f*%& you're coming from.

Some of y'all have a very liberal definition of civil war.

If someone's motivation was solely to stay in posh hotels and go to Western shopping malls, well...uhhh.... yeah.

Families with kids, let them go to Disneyland in Southern CA where they have the illusion of safety but are much more likely to encounter violence than in Thailand.

My point remains (and you didn't address it btw, I thought Cent's post was pretty damn good, but you got to work out the issue a little sir), how many foreigners have been hurt? What kind of numbers are we talking, and what percentage of the foreigners in the city does it represent? What is the real risk? Not drama on TV or news forums, what are the numbers?

Also, I really don't care that much about tourist revenue for LOS. I could pretend like I did, but I don't. I just wanted to explain my perspective which is this -- yes, there's an element of risk greater than two months ago, but it's not Civil War or some deluge of violence against foreigners. Could it transform? Yeah sure. I don't think it will, but it could.

I'm going to stay. And come back.

And I pray to God that those fuckers with their obnoxious little kids in tow go elsewhere. That could be the silver lining in all this.

:up:

I am sorry to prove you wrong, but recent events show that the conflict is spreading. A train captured, a police station under siege, spikes on a main road to BKK...

Archived