How long until it hits the farang end of town?

Old Hippie

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

Unless farangs become targets and a body count ensues my trip will go ahead. i will not allow these assholes to get in my way......however, i might have to eat a slice of humble pie at some point!

Unless farangs become targets and a body count ensues my trip will go ahead. i will not allow these assholes to get in my way......however, i might have to eat a slice of humble pie at some point!

You now the country and the city...

Today the German foreign ministry issued an urgent warning not to travel to BKK nor to North Thailand. BKK airport should only be used for transit to other destinations.

Following the warning the biggest German travel agencies have cancelled all trips to BKK for the time being. Destinations like Phuket, Khao Lak or Koh Samui are not affected.

I am sorry to prove you wrong, but recent events show that the conflict is spreading. A train captured, a police station under siege, spikes on a main road to BKK...

Prove you right? Howw so? I don't think you understand what I'm saying. My point, once again, is this: Farangs are not being actively targeted and made objects of violence in Thailand/BKK. Therefore, to what extent as a foreigner, are you really at risk while in the country? There are more than enough Kamuis out there preaching about the horrors of BKK. I want to present a different view: yeah, the red-shirt situation is fucked up, but am I in genuine danger right now?

I don't believe the answer to that is yes.

Further -- if it changes, I would leave. But I like it here and to me the risk is negligible. For the Thais that are my friends I would like to see this shadow looming over them lifted.

And you sir --- go to Mallorca. Do some shopping. Hit the beach. I'll chill in Bangkok for now.

:)

Ps. Got two phone calls yesterday (from Thais) saying that I might consider staying in Chiang Mai another week. They seem to feel that whatever is going to go down the the red shirt camp will happen in the next handful of days.

'Do you think I'm in danger there?'

"No. Unless you go down to Ratchaprasong intersection, but -- Bangkok people might be on edge, maybe you will enjoy Chiang Mai more."

Now god damn, isn't it nice to get straight level-headed talk instead of: 'Run! You're in Danger! Farangs are going to die!'

The Thais I know seem to be most in fear of a protracted terrorist style campaign even if the reds are dispersed. That would be tragic for the country -- and if foreigners were genuinely targeted, I'd be pretty fucking sad and go elsewhere'

Right now -- not even close to being there. Hope for the best.

Soldiers are starting to pre-position barbed wire on Sukhumvit Road (specifically in front of the Robinson/Westin Hotel) at Soi 19. Not place it out yet, but it is in full view on the sidewalk.

Many more armed and highly armored police at the Asoke intersection also.

Traffic inbound on Sukhumvit was heavily then it has been in the morning for some time.

Cheers!

Soldiers are starting to pre-position barbed wire on Sukhumvit Road (specifically in front of the Robinson/Westin Hotel) at Soi 19. Not place it out yet, but it is in full view on the sidewalk.

Many more armed and highly armored police at the Asoke intersection also.

Traffic inbound on Sukhumvit was heavily then it has been in the morning for some time.

Cheers!

Thanks Pom. Yep. Just rolled in from Chiang Mai and saw the guys along Suk. Thought -- hmmmm, I'm going to look like a dumbfuck now for telling people not to be histrionic.

Went out and snapped a couple pics. Talked to some of the grunts out there sweating (and it is fucking hot). Bought a couple of em waters. They were in good spirits. Mostly. Said it looked worse than it was.

I must be sick cause the only thing I thought was -- no way in hell I'm leaving now. But yeah, it does make you take note.

And I am.

Anyway, here ya go (about an hour old)....

4556801325_28fb0c25e3_b.jpg

4557423604_d9555ee120.jpg

4557379864_931319cf9f.jpg

4557377154_145c7ce0a7.jpg

4557376054_701a67e906_b.jpg

Archived