How long until it hits the farang end of town?

Old Hippie

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, here's a part of that article:

"The man has been hospitalised and identified as 26 year-old Melbourne man Benjamin Rowse.

Mr Rowse was injured when a bomb exploded at the Sala Daeng skytrain station in Bangkok yesterday.

The violence was the result of clashes between local pro-government and anti-government protesters."

That seems pretty paranoid IMHO.

1% chance, but only because nothing is impossible.

Paranoid? I don't think it is that far out of the realm of possibilities and likelyhoods.

I just posted this earlier today in the 'Peaceful Resolution' thread:

All,

Latest 'rumour' I've heard from a good source who knows someone on the inside of the reds is that there is a plan by the radical elements to kidnap farangs to use as 'human shields' to dissuade the army from attacking them and clearing them out. (And to tell the truth, I imagine there would be some farang that align themselves with the red shirt cause that would do so willingly.)

Would that work? Who knows, but I do know I would be staying far far away from any red shirt protestors and rallies and such. You guys running around near these demonstrations are playing with fire I suspect.

Would they actually do something like this? I suspect so. Desperation and all that. Not all factions are nonviolent and sane within the party of the reds, and one hand does not know what the other is up to it seems from what you read/hear daily from their 'leaders'.

Peaceful resolution? I highly doubt it will end peacefully.

I take no sides in this. It's all up to the Thais. I can't vote, I am not a citizen, it isn't my country (though I love it here and love the people and wish them the best), and I am just here at the whim of the government until they change their minds. If it gets too hairy I'll leave for a while (likely over the Cambo border in Chong Chum at a nearby Cambo hotel), but as DC says, it's not a problem up here in Surin... so far. Red shirt demonstrations do occur at the government house up here. So, I stay away from government house.

But Songkran was business and pleasure as usual here. Loads of fun, no problems.

Take care down there in Bangkok though guys, and stay the hell away from the protestors and don't tempt fate. They are lobbing grenades at public transportation areas for god's sake. It could happen to anyone, and getting hit with grenade shrapnel is no fun.

Stay safe and use your head (the big one for once).

Cent

Cent,

True & sane words spoken. Thanks.

Bangkok is at it's worst ever pretty much. Not a safe or fun place now.

Most countries rightly advice against all or at least all, but essential travels/visits here in line with the south where all travels has been off bounds for years. Sad affair too :(

I suspect it's only a matter of time now until the first direct report on here where someone got unlucky & involved with the next act of violence/terror by whoever.

Stay safe boys & girls.

Cheers :beer:

Keep spreading the rumours, asy it often enough people will believe you.

Sad day when LK and I agree about paranoia.

Bust, He isn't even awake to know whats going on, that's news from 2 coup's ago, not how things play out this time,

NG,

Obviously you are not as 'nervous' a god as you portray yourself to be. :D

Sometimes rumours turn out to be true. Are you saying something like this scenario, whether true 'hostages' or 'willing' hostages to be used as human shields, is improbable or unlikely? You obviously have much more faith in the more radical elements within the shirts (red or yellow) than I do.

SOMEONE, whether people trying to cause trouble and not really red shirts, or more radical elements within the red shirts, is lobbing grenades at public transportation areas, setting off bombs at bank ATM kiosks, etc., etc.

Do you actually trust the type of people that would do such a thing not to do something as drastic as taking hostages to use for human shields? Do you deny there are violent elements involved in the protests? Can you smell the desperation in the air? No? Blow your nose and sniff again. It's there.

Paranoid my ass. :confused::rolleyes::wave::hmmm:

Also, notice the recent activity by the reds in what are known to be areas farang are in, Patpong, Khao San Road, Wireless road and embassies, now Silom BTS/crowded public transport.

They want attention from the farang press. They are starting to get it the past week or two. It is a battle plan. Don't you folks watch the History Channel? It takes a Battle Plan!. :D

They are now getting the worldwide attention they seek for their cause. Expect to see more of the same as they get more and more international attention and press. They've recently asked the UN to send Peace Keeping forces to protect them for fuck's sake.

Archived