Al Jazeera's headline today

Wallenda

"Video: Thai protest hit by grenade attacks"

If you actually click the link, it takes you to a story that does hint that the red shirts were the ones doing the attacking. But this is a good example of the lazy way foreign media is covering this story, often getting everything wrong.

My gut feeling is that the headline was written by someone else, not the reporter who did the story, and by someone who isn't abreast of what's going on.

A fair and accurate headline would have read: "Downtown business area attacked by bomb blasts" or something like that, and to be most accurate, should mention "by suspected protestors". There were no red shirt protestors in the area hit. The victims, as far as I know, were all innocent bystanders, including 2 foreigners.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mac-

Al Jazeera is one of the better news sources.

There is a bias when it comes to Israel but the coverage is very good.

Not today it isn't. Their headline strongly implies that the reds were attacked with bombs because they're protesting. No reds were hurt and they were the ones who hurled the bombs. That's pretty shitty reporting.

News France did the same thing with the video "proving" soldiers shot live bullets at the crowd. Funny, I actually know one of their reporters here in town and he hung his head in shame when I brought it up. He said someone needed to be fired for that crap.

"Video: Thai protest hit by grenade attacks"

If you actually click the link, it takes you to a story that does hint that the red shirts were the ones doing the attacking. But this is a good example of the lazy way foreign media is covering this story, often getting everything wrong.

My gut feeling is that the headline was written by someone else, not the reporter who did the story, and by someone who isn't abreast of what's going on.

A fair and accurate headline would have read: "Downtown business area attacked by bomb blasts" or something like that, and to be most accurate, should mention "by suspected protestors". There were no red shirt protestors in the area hit. The victims, as far as I know, were all innocent bystanders, including 2 foreigners.

Archived